USB Power drain

FabDJ

Hi everybody

I was wondering how much power you can drain from USB ports.

I currently run a led light, N.I DJ2 external sound card, wireless mouse,usb memory stick and would like to use a cooling pad. No way of working out amperage used or amperage available.

Thanks

well as i know it the usb shares the power evenly between all the shit you got pluged in. when you connect a usb hub it share that usb power supply between the new hub which can end up not being enough to power your devices, if your plug has a power adaptor plug it in and it will recieve full power to each usb slot

• 2 weeks later...

these powered USB's can also be run from say a Power Socket one

here is a picture (I have 5x of these)

I use the cooling pad and light via this below

0007cn1_1265878735.jpg

cheap to buy from ebay

I plugin a usb hub and run 5 or more off it - works great if it not a hard drive just lights or a fan or things like that

the mouse I would look at using a different usb (you have more than 1 on that laptop) and try and keep as little as you can loaded if its a gig system

tell you now I bet anything it slows when an antivirus does a check

well thats because you havent set up that system to its peak...

if your own. i never used this just saw this.. they say its a 1day sale so jump on it if your on..

http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smallfi ... ts_id=4724

main_image2.gif

13port.jpg

13 Port Powered USB Hub Manager

Individual Power Switches for each USB Port

Never run out of USB ports ever again!

It's back and ready for action! The last time we featured this awesome gizmo, it sold by mornings end, don't miss out on it again! Be quick, stocks are limited!

Tired of plugging and unplugging all the various USB powered or connected devices every time you take your laptop out of the home office? Not now that you have this 13 port USB hub! You can plug in printer, scanner, external hard drive, digital camera, audio devices and more with just one plug when you keep them all plugged into the USB hub. It features 13 USB ports each with individual power switches and led indicator, 1.2 meter Y type USB cable to provide extra power lifting, and 3A heavy duty mains adaptor for enough power support. It’s compatible with USB 2.0 (480Mbps), USB 1.1(1.5Mbps), Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 OS, and Mac OS 10.0. The compact design saves space and keeps your devices organised for just $29.95. Hubba hubba! (Get it?)

13 multiple USB ports support more USB devices

6 top load ports

7 side load ports with more spaces

13 individual power switches with blue LED light indicators

1.2 meter long USB cable to provide extra power lifting

Heavy duty power adaptor

Compact design to save your space and organised

Works with Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 OS and Mac OS 10.0 above

hi one thing related to USB ports (sorry fab but not necessarily power) is that they are very tricky in terms of thruput if you are using both usb1 (which a lot of sound cards or midis run on) and usb2 devices in the hub.

i read that if you mix them they will all run at usb1 thruput. also something about a hub will only share the capacity of that usb port.

however you can get hubs that guarantee dedicated thruput; and if plugged in equal power coming thru all devices.

i have a belkin one (its the ovaly looking ones that can stack).

in a sec ill post pics, links and the article (i think it was dj techtools)

EDIT: okay found article. as below.

so it says as long as its powered then all ports can have max power.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/01/25/u ... j-hi-spee/

and in regards to the tetra belkin usb hub (which can handle usb 1 and usb 2 at full performance) i couldnt find it in oz and i think its superseeded so i bought this

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... 2EE7737600)ID1522395655DB01875142119983057922End;saplb_*=(J2EE7737600)7737655

hey buck but it makes no mention about dedicated thruput just that you can use USB1 and USB2. i.e. if you plug just one USB1 item you are only getting USB1 for eveything. which in reality may only make a difference with hard drives, but maybe also Audio 4/8 latency times

so did you know Up to 127 devices, including hub devices if present, may be connected to a single host controller....

as FabDj mentioned before!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

USB devices are linked in series through hubs. There always exists one hub known as the root hub, which is built into the host controller. So-called sharing hubs, which allow multiple computers to access the same peripheral device(s), also exist and work by switching access between PCs, either automatically or manually. Sharing hubs are popular in small-office environments. In network terms, they converge rather than diverge branches.

i'll let you read the true article on USB :)