CDJ-400, Give me Your Review

Jaz

will keep it short but sweat

ok mainly focused at current and previous owners, but also extensive users who may not have owned a set, tell me your review for me please :D

if you havent seen my previous threads, beginner/intermediate DJ, been using Midi controllers and Software, looking to get into something more Real and respectable

cant afford 900's or 1000's or 2000's unless i get a crazy second hand deal somewhere, so the 400's seem pretty packed full of features for the price

will probly pair them with a DJM400 as well

looking to get my CDJ skills up so when i hopefully hit a club i can merge straight to the CDJ1000's the club provides :) will the 400's proive this service for

me?

thats it. thanks heaps in advance guys :)

DJM400Kit.jpg

ive searched the forum, most people just discussing prices and specs and linking vids made by pioneer or pioneer sellers, i wanna hear actual users of the product reviews and my fellow ADJF users opinions, not some guy trying to sell it to me :)

From memory i have seen a few people mention they own or have owned the 400's, only name that i can put to the keyboard at the moment is skank though :P

you can hook up decks and mixer to hercules you know?

and just use it as a soundcard to stream tracks to?

personally that's what id'e do

and then maybe get rid of hercules/ laptop if you decided to?

example:

or just get a set of tt's and serato control vinyl-

run through virtual dj eg:

(was looking into it ages ago when i was thinking about getting an rmx)

hope this helps

Do you have to have pioneer?

I would buy the reloop rmp3s or the denon 3700s instead, at a similar price. Reason being, they feel and act a lot more like the 1000's than the 400's

If it had to be pioneer, I would prefer the cdj800 instead. I had a play with the 400's and wasn't really a fan of the feel of them, despite their decent features.

...but to each their own.

yeh i tend to lean towards pioneer, just being the bigger/biggest brand that most pro's use i seem to want them more then other :P

the 800's dont have mp3 stick/usb stick/ipod compatibility though do they :(, thats 1 of the main features i like with the 400's

Pros:

1) USB input - Getting songs onto a CDJ400 is quick and easy!

2) No neeed to use discs ever again

3) The effects are good (great if you dont have effects on your mixer)

4) Moving from a CDJ400 jog wheel to a larger one (ie 800s, 1000s, etc) is incredibly easy.

5) CDJ400 can be used as an external sound card

6) CDJ400 are midi mapable so instead of using a keyboard, mouse, midi etc to control your software (eg VDJ), you can use your CDJs!

Cons:

1) Not rekordbox compatability

Pros:

1) USB input - Getting songs onto a CDJ400 is quick and easy!

2) No neeed to use discs ever again

3) The effects are good (great if you dont have effects on your mixer)

4) Moving from a CDJ400 jog wheel to a larger one (ie 800s, 1000s, etc) is incredibly easy.

5) CDJ400 can be used as an external sound card

6) CDJ400 are midi mapable so instead of using a keyboard, mouse, midi etc to control your software (eg VDJ), you can use your CDJs!

Cons:

1) Not rekordbox compatability

Good review, thats the shit i want :) +Rep

Keep em coming

ive been looking into the 350's as well, they seem to just be Rekord box compatible (400's arent) and have better looping tech

from what i have read ^ and were released alot later so there are basically no second hands around and thats what ill probly be buying :(

when are the 850's being released?

Not a bad idea :D but I tend to do better saving, spesh when I've got a few mates weddings, a cruise, festival season, new years and more coming up, I need savings as an emergency back up, cdj's will wait but Stereosonic won't :P

but I will ring storedj tomorro and see what kinda plan I can get from them

i have 400s :D and i love em. first set of decks too. i'm in love with em. the jog wheel feels a bit plasticy. but other than that they are really well built. the effects come in handy. i really only use roll and wah though.

i love mine. usb sticks tend to load a little slower than CDs but not like 2 minutes or anything just a few seconds. i havnt tried hookin em up to a lappy for midi use yet, and i dont think i really will but yea. im extremely happy with them. paired with a djm400 its heaps of fun.

hope that helps. :)

Cheers Lopsyd, how long have you had them?

how long till you think you will need an upgrade?

ive had em for about 3 or 4 months now. and i wouldnt upgrade til sometime next year. for me they are sweet. i have played on 1000s and 2000s and the transition is easy. so its not like i need to upgrade, its more of a preference thing. atm i am more of a mobile DJ, and 400s are a tad smaller, lighter hence easier to move. but if the opportunity comes for some cheap second hand 1000 mk3's then id feel confident to jump on it, set them up and feel right at home.

ive had em for about 3 or 4 months now. and i wouldnt upgrade til sometime next year. for me they are sweet. i have played on 1000s and 2000s and the transition is easy. so its not like i need to upgrade, its more of a preference thing. atm i am more of a mobile DJ, and 400s are a tad smaller, lighter hence easier to move. but if the opportunity comes for some cheap second hand 1000 mk3's then id feel confident to jump on it, set them up and feel right at home.

dude, epic help! thanks!

see i had myself thinking that i can learn the CDJ way lf DJing perfectly on them but the transition to 1000's and higher up models would be difficult

i meen even a set of second hand 1000's will still cost $2000

but 400's are easily going for under $1000 second hand for a set

but since ive learnt about the 350's its hard to choose between the 2 now because the 350 has rekordbox compatibility but is very very ugly in my opinion

cbf reading the entire thread but..

One of the clubs I play at I use 400s... and they're great... great pitch range.

If i want to have the pitch range at 1.58%... which I often do.. then I can.

The platter feels nice umm... yeah, they're good man. Get them.

I use them 5hrs straight and they've never fucked up

dude, epic help! thanks!

see i had myself thinking that i can learn the CDJ way lf DJing perfectly on them but the transition to 1000's and higher up models would be difficult

i meen even a set of second hand 1000's will still cost $2000

but 400's are easily going for under $1000 second hand for a set

but since ive learnt about the 350's its hard to choose between the 2 now because the 350 has rekordbox compatibility but is very very ugly in my opinion

i got mine in singapore for 700 bucks for the pair. which i felt was a bargain. brand new. :D

but yea cdj350s are for people who like DJ Hero. hahaha.

yeh i did notice all the noob addons on the 350 but i love the look of rekordbox and the 350 is compatible with it

i got mine in singapore for 700 bucks for the pair. which i felt was a bargain. brand new. :D

serious? legit Pioneer? if so thats heaps good, just goes to show how much they are marked up in DJ stores and shit, also shows they cant be expensive to make as that asian that sold them 2 you was probly making a profit

unless he stole them instead of buying them :P haha

yeh i did notice all the noob addons on the 350 but i love the look of rekordbox and the 350 is compatible with it

serious? legit Pioneer? if so thats heaps good, just goes to show how much they are marked up in DJ stores and shit, also shows they cant be expensive to make as that asian that sold them 2 you was probly making a profit

unless he stole them instead of buying them :P haha

hahaha. yea, legit pioneer. just needed to by an australian power cable for em. :) loves asian bargains. yea was a legit electronics store. like, in singapore theres an electronics shopping centre, and all these stored tryin to get your attention, so you can barter heaps to get your prics matched nd shit. heaps good.

how much is a ticket over there ? hahaha

or do they have a website?

although there are plenty of cheapies online, most are oversea's with massive postage, + the risk of no warranty or to far away to use the warranty if something goes wrong lol :( :(