Need a Laptop.

crundyy

off serato website

PLEASE NOTE: These are the minimum requirements to run Scratch Live. For best performance and for use in professional situations we recommend you buy a higher spec computer. We also recommend Intel processors.

Mac

* 1 GHz G4

* 2 GB RAM*

* 1024 x 768 screen resolution

* OSX 10.4.11 or higher (See Note 2)

* Available USB port (USB 2.0 required

for SL 3 & Sixty-Eight)

Windows

* Intel processor, 1.6 GHz or better (See Notes 3 and 4)

* 2 GB RAM*

* 1024 x 768 screen resolution

* Windows XP with Service Pack 3 or higher

* Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or higher

* Windows 7

* Available USB port (USB 2.0 required

for SL 3 & Sixty-Eight)

*If you have a large library, you will benefit from having more RAM.

Note 1: If you are using Scratch Live 2.0's more system intensive features such as DJ FX or AUX Deck plugins and are having issues you may need a higher spec computer for best results or make sure you have optimized your system: Windows 7 and Vista / Mac OS X.

Note 2: If you are planning on using HID devices on Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard), then you must use OSX version 10.5.6 or up. HID devices include Rane mixers such as the Rane Sixty-Eight or TTM 57SL and some 3rd party controllers such as the Pioneer CDJ-400, CDJ-900, or CDJ-2000 CD players.

Note 3: Please read this FAQ if you are looking at buying a computer with an AMD processor: Problems with PCs using AMD processors.

Note 4: Please read this FAQ if you are looking at buying a Windows based PC with an Intel i-series processor: Problems with Windows based PCs with i3, i5 or i7 processors when used with USB 1.1 devices.

i gotta disagree Gandy...for 1 it says $1199 on the apple site

but also the 13 inch just doesnt pack a punch to compete with your normal laptops, i meen the Mac operating system is better but the specs on them make dont compare to what you can get for $1200, i meen if u shop around u can easily get a Monster of a toshiba with i7, 500G harddrive, 4 gig ram, + all your audio and graphics cards...+ if you love the mac operating system so much just buy it from apple and install or....get it the naughty way...

but as for the 15" very worth its price, packs a big punch....but if im honest for $1799 minimum for the 15" pro i would be getting an AlienWare Computer instead for that price

Alienware just simply fuck everything in the arse, end of story :P

• 4 weeks later...

If you want peace of mind that your laptop isn't going to crash mid-set then i'd suggest getting a macbook pro. Their build quality is top notch and they simply work (fast) without any fuss.

I'm not a fan of other Apple's other products that are well overpriced like the iPhone, but with macbook pro you really do get what you pay for.

macbook prices are way overpriced for the specs you get. dont get me wrong if stability is a high priority and price is a lesser priority then yes macbook pros are a nice little machine.

but the truth is they benchmark a lot lower for machines of the same price. so im not saying compare spec to spwc you cant. im saying benchmarks like running a formula, playing or rendering a video.

i remember comparing the scores of the latest macbook pros at the time when my laptop was 2.5 yrs old and it had only just caught up for video rendering.

so i have to disagree. macbooks are on the higher end of the scale if you talking price

Fair point eggshell. I certainly agree their graphics chips are behind similarly priced laptops on the market.

But video rendering power isn't a requirement for a dedicated DVS laptop. Is it worth sacrificing stability for higher specifications that are surplus to your requirements? A Windows laptop may give you more value for money. But are you getting what's valuable to you(DVS user)?

Instead of getting a $1000 value for money Windows laptop, why not save for a little while longer and invest in stability. The entry level 13" 2.4 GHz core 2 4GB macbook pro for $1449 would run your favourite DVS no problem.

Add an external HDD (for storage upgradability) to store your tunes and you're good to go.