Dj Midi Mixer controller

yep

Hey,

I'm looking to start Djing, if made a few songs of my own, and would like to use some djing software to modify and perform live.

Why would someone want to use vinyl or CD, when they can just use mp3 format midi controller?

Out of these midi controllers, what do you gies recomend, pros cons etc.

Denon DJ DN-MC6000

Vestax VCI100

Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 Digital DJ System

Would you gies recomend this? :) :)

to be completely honest i would go with traktor S4 because of familiarity

i use traktor with my mate and i know the format of it all and that and the unit itself seams very solid and unbreakable

the main reason everyon uses vynal and cdjs is that whenever you dj you use decks and a mixer not a MIDI controler

the vestax VCI100

although you can use traktor with the vestax and It is a breeze to program and its fun to use. It’s plug and play

Pros:

·Build quality

·Feel

·LED feedback

Cons:

·No 14 bit midi

·Stupid button on the right

·No sound card

·A little expensive when compared to it’s competitors.

The Traktor S4

Pros

All-in-one 4-deck software/controller/audio interface system based on tried and true Native Instruments technology. Comes with Traktor Pro S4 with new Sample Decks and Loop Recorder. MIDI compatibility for other gear and software, but much higher resolution control between the hardware and Traktor Pro S4. Two analog inputs and excellent Audio 4 DJ-like sound quality.

cons

No price break yet for licensed Traktor Pro users. Operating on USB bus power alone is not recommended due to dim LEDs. Big-time cue point juggler and button mashing controllerists will probably still want a supplemental “grid” controller. No group saving of sample sets. Not compatible with DVS systems yet (NI says this is coming soon).

sorry but i dont know much about the denon

ps post up into the into section

hey dude, throw up an intro and tell us a bit about yourself

before i recommend which controller id choose let me just say that you can hook all vinyl and CD turntable's up to DJ software as well :)

but out of all of those you stated i would easily choose the S4 if you have the money, seems to be a great all Round Midi

Midi Controllers are a great and less expensive way to get into DJing and find out if its for you, but eventually you will more then likely find yourself bored with them and wanting to move onto CD and Vinyl Tables

hope this helped :)

Hey :) so basically, I have a background in music and love making music electronically.

Thanks alot 'pulse beat' and Dj jaz , that was very helpfull. However I still do not exactly understand why people use vinyl and Cds, is it because on cds and vinyl it is bigger and therefore easier to control, and Dj jaz, why would I get board with a midi mixer?

I am looking in the genres of hardstyle techno, and rap.

Also why do people buy units of a mixer system plus 2 CD decks etc, when one can just use a midi controller which has everything.

Lastly, with any any midi controller mixer system can change tempo add effects etc.?

Thanks Alot!

no problem mate

its hard to compare really, you see you can compare CD and Vinyl Turntables with each other because they have many similarities and well the CD turntable derived from the Vinyl Table really

but as for comparing Midi controllers and CD/Vinyl its hard

it also depends on what software your using and how your using it, most midi's and software have a feature called "Auto Sync" which basically Does all the work of a DJ for you, all you need to do it press play and stop....we do not like this feature

Without personally using Vinyil tables before i would say they are definitely the hardest of the 3, but both CD and Vinyl you have to Cue your tacks up and beatmatch etc where as Midi's you can do both but its not so much needed/necessary because you can just click the waveforms and see the BPM and Beats as they come....

dont get me wrong there are plenty of Big and highly skilled DJ's that use Midi Controllers and software and are Quite Awsome at it, the 1st name coming to mind is Carl Cox, if you dont know him check him out, he is a Traktor Rep

Hopefully a few other members will jump on this thread and help me give you some insight :)

i was once like you, but until you use different types of gear its hard to know the difference really :)

However I still do not exactly understand why people use vinyl and Cds, is it because on cds and vinyl it is bigger and therefore easier to control, and Dj jaz, why would I get board with a midi mixer?

Hey mate. Welcome to the forum. I was a bit like yourself; I started out playing MIDI, but I got bored and wanted to challenge myself more, hence the swap to CDJ's. It's personal preference though, MIDI controllers are great fun, just don't get lazy and hit the Sync button ;)

Maybe have a look at the lower end Behringer units too, as well as the Hercules models. They're relatively cheap, and judging by reviews they'd be a perfect fit for what you're after.

as for the differences man you would have to bring up 2 internet pages for them both and compare

and as for needing anything else, as long as you have a computer, music, DJ software, your midi controller and a soundcard then yes your good to go

if your wondering about the sound card yes i believe all the midi's your looking at do have a built in soundcard, only cheap $200 midi's dont come with soundcards these days

:)

• 1 month later...

People buy cdj's and vinyls because in clubs that's what they use.

Midi controllers are great for bedroom and party mixing because of there portability and ease of setup (in most cases).

I started with a behringer bcd3000 and quickly bought a pair of cdj800's and a crappy mixer and i can honestly say i wasted my money with the behringer and laptop.

But you will do what you want :)

People buy cdj's and vinyls because in clubs that's what they use.

Midi controllers are great for bedroom and party mixing because of there portability and ease of setup (in most cases).

I started with a behringer bcd3000 and quickly bought a pair of cdj800's and a crappy mixer and i can honestly say i wasted my money with the behringer and laptop.

But you will do what you want :)

disagree

disagree

How so my good man?

A laptop and a controller of sorts is the way forward, like it or not.

to what level it is integrated with existing club equipment is entirely up to each DJ. more and more DJs are using just controllers to mix these days in club situations.... take pete tong for example

• 3 weeks later...
disagree

How so my good man?

A laptop and a controller of sorts is the way forward, like it or not.

to what level it is integrated with existing club equipment is entirely up to each DJ. more and more DJs are using just controllers to mix these days in club situations.... take pete tong for example

im all for controllers but they will never be the club standard for at least the next decade even longer. some clubs dont even have cdj's.

Using cd/vinyl is a whole different skill set to using a pc solution. Both have a time and place. You still need to know the basics of song structure, music selection etc and that's far more important than the equipment you use. I respect a dj more if they use cd/vinyl as beatmatching is a reasonably difficult skill to learn. However I expect a midi based dj to modify and create new music on the fly and just mixing music is a bit lame given the tools they have access too.