Who would like to educate a n00b?

andyman

ok well ill give you a list of the mainstream dubstep artists that love the wob wob wob WOAHHHHH stuff. ill give the big names first

Rusko

Caspa

Chase N Status

Nero

Subfocus

Skrillex

Excision

Datsik

Doorly

Borgore

Skrein

Skism

Urban Assault

Flux Pavillion

Doctor P

Skream

Specimen A

Bare Noize

DZ

BassNecter

Ill post more later.

Ill wait for Chev to make a post. my knowledge only goes well with the new age dubstep, chev knows heaps about the genre as a whole though, think he will be able to give you some good names to look up in both the new age dubstep and the original style of dubstep which i guess is more minimal/atmospheric/subbass style of dubstep. alot fo the new stuff is pretty much just simple drums and loud twisted bass's

umm ill hav a go, havnt really done much music digging of late.

Borgore - love

Borgore - Foes

Flux Pavillion - Haunt you

Flux Pavillion - Got to know

Medison Ft Skrein - Harry (bare noise remix)

urban assault - scarface(dubstep mix.....not the drumstep mix)

skrillex - scary monsters and nice spirits

No Holds Barred feat. Noisia (Excision Remix) - foriegn beggers

Flux Pavillion - Fucking noise

Hit that gash - Dj primecuts/foriegn beggers

bass nectar - boombox

Joker - Tron

Cobra - 16bit

Bar 9 - indisco remix

bar 9 - the biggining

16bit - jump

Ultrablack - beartrap (excision rmix)

Trolley snatcha - The Future

subscape - wrong number

Tek one - hate you

Specimen A - cold as ice

Skism - Back off

Cruel intentions - simian mobile disco (joker remix)

Shock(Nero remix)

Nero - act like you know

Nero - innocence

i wouldnt say thats wear dubstep spawned....i meaned there were dub version.....but the dub artists who were doing dubs or 2 step and garage and what not were the artists that started the dubstep movement wernt they? im not to certain how it all started, there is to many speculations, im not to fused, its here now and i love it haha

b sides of craig david 12 inches. thats where dub step began

CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAHH!!!!!

Craig David is the man.

For now, check out my post in the dubstep videos sticky at the top, kind of a brief flawed history of the progression of the sound. I think its very important to know where something came from if you want to know where its future is.

If you dig anything from that post, let me know and I can point you in the right direction as far as artists to check out.

i wouldnt say thats wear dubstep spawned....i meaned there were dub version.....but the dub artists who were doing dubs or 2 step and garage and what not were the artists that started the dubstep movement wernt they? im not to certain how it all started, there is to many speculations, im not to fused, its here now and i love it haha

The earliest dubstep releases, which date back to 1998, were darker, more experimental, instrumental dub remixes of 2-step garage tracks attempting to incorporate the funky elements of breakbeat, or the dark elements of drum and bass into 2-step, which featured as B-sides of single releases. In 2001, this and other strains of dark garage music began to be showcased and promoted at London's club night Forward (sometimes also referred to as FWD>>), which went on to be considerably influential to the development of dubstep. The term "dubstep" in reference to a genre of music began to be used by around 2002, by which time stylistic trends used in creating these remixes started to become more noticeable and distinct from 2-step and grime.

While dubstep is its own distinct form of electronic music, its roots are surely located within Jamaican dub music and soundsystem cultures. Jamaican soundsystems were "large mobile hi-fi or disco...[with] an emphasis on the reproduction of bass frequencies, its own aesthetics and a unique mode of consumption". These soundsystems represented the appearance of records (dub plates) as modes of legitimate artistic creation. This was an integral moment in the evolution of electronic musics, both in Britain and worldwide.

Jamaican soundsystem culture gave birth to the dub variety of reggae music, which itself originated many of dubstep's characteristic sounds and sonic techniques. Features like sub-bass (bass less than 100 Hz), skittering and jittery drums (which would later be termed '2-step'), distortive echo and reverberation effects were all used prominently. These features, along with held over soundsystem techniques, went on to form the crux of numerous electronic musics which emerged from Britain, including jungle, garage, and eventually dubstep.

Sub-bass, however, has also been present in British dance music since the early 1990s - LFO by LFO on the Warp Records label, released in 1990 features sub-bass throughout, as does the B-side mix of Charly by The Prodigy (1991). Altern 8's early breakbeat house/techno release Infiltrate 202 - also from 1991 - begins with the phrase, "watch yer bassbins" referring to the heavy sub-bass running throughout the track. Another early sub-bass tune is Some Justice by Urban Shakedown, made in 1992 entirely on two Commodore Amiga 500 computers, achieved some chart success upon its release. The sub-bass in this track also rises and falls initially in a rather slow, then later speeding-up, oscillation pattern similar to a dubstep bassline.

well yeah it was the dub version of tracks that the sound came from.(craig david was just the crossover artist who broke the sound international). as was usual with most rnb, hip hop or funk tracks there was always a dub version.

but as per cupes post then people took that sound and started to produce it. so id still call that spawning.

here is one of craigs hits from 1999 then the dub version which was on the single. which sounds a lot like dubstep.

• 3 months later...

was at my olds the other day and asked my sis if hse still had the old craig david cds (i love crate digging at my olds. i may have mentioned before but the cupboard in the room me and my younger bro use to share is box loads of cd's. and under the house i still have one box of 12 inches that i didnt bring home with me).

anywhos i copped born to do it but she reminded me it wasnt his albums i use to like it was artful dodger which had craig david on vocals for 80% of them. so she gave me that. still goes off! spewing it doesnt have any of the mixes i posted but i guess they were on the singles only.

but what was a trip was she also gave me a Ministry of sound UK garage album from that era. its catalogue number is MOSCD12. twelve!!! damn i am getting old ha ha ha ha it has a lot of folk still in the game like dj zinc, deekline, azzido da bass and some of my fave artists like the so solid crew. loved them!

oh yeah fer sure, i didnt say they were dubstep cuz that moniker was not yet invented by the media until a few years later.

im saying that scene influenced/ shaped the sound that would be called dubstep (for the pure reason because it sounded like the dub remixes of 2step tracks). i.e. dubstep was a derivative of the 2step/ garage scene (i didnt look back at older posts yet, but from memory that was the discussion).

yeah for sure, artful dodger rocked. i loved that cd back in the day. still cant believe its been over 10 years since i bought these, and they still go hard