When Heavy Used to be Cool...

ChevChelios

A thread for the long forgotten wobblers of the past.

I shall be posting some gems every now and then,

mostly from the 07-09 period when the dubstep community was thriving in its own little underground way,

all the shit that your Skrillexes, Borgores and Funtcases decided to butcher and make a quick buck off.

Everyone is welcome to contribute of course, but I dont think there are many peeps that listened to dubstep back then,

most people thought it was the shittest thing ever... funny how things change :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started playing dubstep using all these tracks! jumped on the skrilsonixfluxp train to keep with the times lol

On my phone at the moment so can't post up vids but thought I'd share some...

Someone (Breakage Remix) - DJ Madd is a wicked song. Also, didn't mind the Breakage Remix of Riverside

Recently got a DJ Madd vinyl delivered but can't remember what it is!! Ordered this ages ago and forgot all about it

Yeah, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind for the fred, undoubtedly great tunes, but I want bangers ya know, think wobbles before wobbles were cool... ya get meh? :teef:

oh my bad, i just skipped over your into post and went straight to what i asumed you meant, haha.

here is my new tracks :)

(not really that heavy bass but it has those snappy drums that seperate it from the mellow stuff. dig this track

this track isnt heavy either, and its the version of the track before it was released and changed (either that or its someones remake???? not sure)

but there is a comment in it that discribes the intro perfectly

'A man driving a 1963 impala across the brooklyn bridge at night in the year 2044'

If anyone posts a drumstep track in here Ill be getting Cupe to lock it, no teefing intended.

Fuckin hell, Someone (Breakage Remix) is a serious tune, as is Spongebob. Yallz need to be diggin further back though ;)

Goin way back to some '05 Emalkay, none of this half time shit, its all about the disco hits, lasers and Sean Connery vocals!

top thread Chev.

hope this fits amongst what you're after. This is the sound being played a few years back in the back room at my local Dub Reggae soundclash club. It's the close relationship to Dub Reggae that worked for me. Off beat syncopation and skanking riddims ya know?

in fact while i'm here: props to iration steppas. that dubstep sound from their backroom has exploded but they are still knocking out roots reggae and dub inna year 3000 style:http://www.irationsteppas.co.uk

but anyway:

Hell yes mate, exactly what Im talkin about, that N-Type bit has so much fuckin weight, and that Caspa & Rusko tune is such freakin classic, insane.

Its nuts the the little steppah kids these days have no idea about the older stuff, it makes me wonder why they get into it at all haha, almost like they're getting it to it for the wrong reasons :?

^aye bro, glad we're on a level again.

personally i think a lot of kids get into it now via dance music/club culture/fashion/consumerism... It sells so it is watered down and churned out.

...but it started as roots music.

IMHO:

Many kids will never see the roots, they'll pass through their club culture phase, fashion will move on, they'll look back with rose-tints and they'll look down on the new and diss it as not as good as it was in their day. They're just consumers mate. Babylon will fall.

...but any and all individuals who recognise the roots are welcome in my yard however they found their way there.

Does it matter though?

If some kid gets into lupe and falls in love w hip hop and starts getting into all the fresh stuff, i would say they are no less a hip hop fan just because they dont go back and listen to whodini, melle mel, doc, arabian prince, the fresh prince etc etc.

Ive heard people call tupac and biggie as back in the day! But theres nothing wrong with that, thats just when they entered the scene. Again these people are no worse a hiphopper than any other.

Sounds have changed and there is no reason why new schoolers have to like the old school.

Does it matter though?

If some kid gets into lupe and falls in love w hip hop and starts getting into all the fresh stuff, i would say they are no less a hip hop fan just because they dont go back and listen to whodini, melle mel, doc, arabian prince, the fresh prince etc etc.

Ive heard people call tupac and biggie as back in the day! But theres nothing wrong with that, thats just when they entered the scene. Again these people are no worse a hiphopper than any other.

Sounds have changed and there is no reason why new schoolers have to like the old school.

Yeah man, I feel ya, not saying it matters at all, its just I dont get what the appeal of the whole thing without the context of it all, if that makes sense.

eggs ^i think you misunderstand me mate.

i'm not saying anyone needs to trace the roots of music and become an expert in the older releases or the origins of a scene. You dont have to know kraftwerk to dig deadmaus ya know.

I'm talking about "roots" music, it's a genre of west-indian music which is backed by a philosphy full of soul and from which (along a wobbly path) dubstep was invented. Hip hop is a way of life, "roots" music is another, and i dig them both. i dont have to be a trainspotter and i dont diss anyone for their taste.

I'm saying anyone who knows that genre and understands its philosophy is always welcome.

love threads like this,

i came into the dubstep scene just as stanton warriors bought where's my money to good vibes in 08 i think?

and although ive followed it closely since then, digging the way its changed in every way, the robo stuff, the chilled stuff the grimey stuff.

also love looking back past 08 to where it had come from and stuff alike.

so please keep this page going, my knowledge of actual dubstep music dosent go back much further then 06/07.

like i know where and how it originated and some of the producers that were around before that, just dont know the good tunes from then.

so please keep the posting going :)

Mega post from the motherland, the legendary Big Apple Records.

BAM001

(So much future bass stuff tapping on this at the moment, visionary shite)

BAM002 (Benga's first release... how things change)

BAM003

(nuff sed, legendary tune)

BAM004

(BIG FAV THERE)

BAM005

(Couldn't find the flip on youtube :?)

BAM006

(One of the biggest EPs right there, you should all check out the other two tunes on it ;))

BAM007

(One of the many tunes I listened to non-stop when I first started listening, seriously my jam)

(This was another giant EP, again check the other two beats)

BAM008

(One of the tunes to start the whole dungeon sound imo)

(Definitely the biggest release on the label I think, when Benga had really fond his own thing, pity hes gone and fucked it up... 2x12 of glory, check it all out)

BAM009

(Coki is unstoppable, original nutter, great way to end a great label...)

The demise of Big Apple was the beginning of the end imo, unfortunately it ended as I started getting into dubstep... maybe it was my fault O_o

love threads like this,

i came into the dubstep scene just as stanton warriors bought where's my money to good vibes in 08 i think?

and although ive followed it closely since then, digging the way its changed in every way, the robo stuff, the chilled stuff the grimey stuff.

also love looking back past 08 to where it had come from and stuff alike.

so please keep this page going, my knowledge of actual dubstep music dosent go back much further then 06/07.

like i know where and how it originated and some of the producers that were around before that, just dont know the good tunes from then.

so please keep the posting going :)

This.

I started out at a similar time but coz I was still playing electro didn't get too deep into it. Some quality tunes out there that have just been covered up by this harder stuff