OS X Lion Release Tomorrow

Mitch

Apple have just announced that OS X Lion (10.7) will be released July 20 (in America, so 21st for us Aussies).

It brings over 250 features, including:

-Full screen apps

-Launchpad, an ios way of viewing installed applications

-Mission control (redesigned expose and spaces into one window)

-Resume, a feature that opens up applications that were open when you shut down your computer

-Versions, an auto save feature that saves multiple versions of documents your working on, and the ability to revert to any of these versions

-redesigned mail app

-Push notifications for mac app store

-new multitouch gestures (for compatible trackpads, most 2008 and newer macs should support?)

All new features can be found at:

http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/whats-new/

Price: $32 OR $30 - not exactly sure yet.

Who's planning on upgrading?

lloyd, there is a site with tested apps for compatibility for lion: http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

Ableton 8.2.2 is marked as compatible with Lion - http://roaringapps.com/app:184

Early on looks like people were having trouble, but apparently they have updated it to work with Lion.

I suggest you all check your programs will work on the above site before taking the plunge, as well as backing up everything :P

I'm sure Lion will be sick, but currently it has limited support from a lot of perspectives. DJing and music production I am not so sure of issues that have arrisen yet.

I know that xerox currently don't have supported print drivers for a lot of the big MFC's they supply which is an issue if you are a designer and are constantly needing to print high res and as such.

That said, this always happens with new versions of an OS. Back in the initial stages of 10.6 they were lacking a lot of exchange and LDAP functions.

TL;DR wait for a release or two if you don't want to get frustrated.

I may not even buy it yet, as my laptop is the 2007 MBP. Its definately capable of running it, (Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz, 6GB RAM) but not sure how it will like the visual effects due to the graphics card not being anything too fancy by these days standards, and it doesn't have a multi touch trackpad, which lion is very focussed around.

I might wait for a while and see what others say before I buy it. Then install on an external drive, and run it off that for a while and gradually customise it to my liking. Then if i think it will run well enough for prime time, ill copy that external install across onto my internal drive.

This is what I did last time i had to reformat my internal drive, worked fairly well.

personally i firmly believe that if something aint broke i dont need to fix it.

I will watch forums and keep an eye on any compatability issues with all my software and hardware with the new OS but I wont be installing anything until i'm positive it is going to be trouble-free and give me benefits i will actually use.

But good on you all you brave 1st consumer testers...

I've done my fair share of that and beta testing but not with the kit I use to earn money.

UPDATE

Released on Mac App Store, $31.99

Apple have apparently also announced they will be available to purchase from Apple online store on a USB key and shipped out to you (however expect to pay around $70).

Not updating myself, but will try get some more info on app compatibility for Traktor, Ableton, and other programs alot of us on here use, as well as some info about stability of the whole system.

• 2 weeks later...