problems with the server at work....

CapFive

ok what would you guys recommend, we are a medium sized real estate with 10 - 15 computers, we use the network to share all our property files and we also have a program that is installed on the network and the database is shared between all the computers, as well as antivirus. what could you guys recommend as a server to buy? im so lost, i know computers but have NO idea on servers...

IM SO LOST!!!!

Heard good things about the Mac mini's with the dual hard drives. If You wanted/needed something a bit more beefy you could also go the Mac pro with extra hard drives which is a good option as far as backups etc. Go. And the future proff-ness of it.

Alot of businesses use windows server 2008 and I'd say it's probably the standard atm.

as for which one to choose, it's tough without knowing more details.. What are the client PC's running? If the software you are deploying through the server is for windows you kinda need to stick with a windows server, I don't think you can manage windows software on a Mac server?

You also have to take into consideration what database your organisation uses and what platform it runs on.

You're probably best getting in a consultant to iron out all the intricate details so they can devise the best possible solution for your requirements. Do it right from the beginning and it'll cost you less in the long run.

I'll second what mrchris has said. For general advice we can help, but for a specific business requirement best to get someone to look at your exact situation and give you a few options.

Because With technology in business, reliability is key :P

Cap, if you need a hand with any info let me know in a PM i'll swing you my work email addy.

But pretty much need to knwo what you've got originally, cos a migration is completely different to a new set up (Seeing how you have existing equipment).

Things i would be asking;

Is it a domain?

How is your email done?

I'm guessing the programs you use would be ADL/Realworks?

Are all your workstations the professional/business editions of the O/S.

Don't go down the MAC path, at 15users you're much better getting a SBS domain if you don't have already.

Cap, if you need a hand with any info let me know in a PM i'll swing you my work email addy.

But pretty much need to knwo what you've got originally, cos a migration is completely different to a new set up (Seeing how you have existing equipment).

Is it a domain?

How is your email done?

Don't go down the MAC path, at 15users you're much better getting a SBS domain if you don't have already.

interested to hear why you wouldn't go the mac path?

It's just a bitch getting a Mac onto a windows domain, and working, how the client wants it to work.

Not to mention the real estate programs won't work no doubt.

Harder to implement, harder to support.. Not worth it.

That being said, all my colleagues here love their macs. Only reason i'd buy one is for music :)

It's just a bitch getting a Mac onto a windows domain, and working, how the client wants it to work.

Not to mention the real estate programs won't work no doubt.

Harder to implement, harder to support.. Not worth it.

This and not to mention - depending on the database they are running it would be difficult.

At a guess the current server, if it is indeed 5 years old, will be running server 2003. Most real estates use programs that have sql or oracle databases.

As you have already started doing - outsource it. Then if it does go wrong it's not on you.

This and not to mention - depending on the database they are running it would be difficult.

At a guess the current server, if it is indeed 5 years old, will be running server 2003. Most real estates use programs that have sql or oracle databases.

Indeed. Oracle database 10g is able to run on the OSX platform but not 11g. Sqlserver will only ever be available on Windows platforms.

I love MAC with OSX as a desktop, but don't really see any advantages it has over Linux or Windows servers.

this is pretty much beatless's area of expertise at the moment i can vouch the man knows his shiz in regards to small business setups

just dont expect him to show up on time to pub lunches :teef:

and yea consultant would be the go, pretty much what everyone in this thread has said has been spot on, good to see some other tech heads here :P

So many questions to be asked here to gain knowledge of your requirements but in a nutshell i would recommend you stay with a windows server if you are supporting a windows client network

I have been a server admin for several years across all platforms (win, linux, OSX) and can definitely say stick with Windows if you have windows clients

For a network of your size i would recommend a HP ML150 bundle with SBS Server, this gives you a nice lil server and a solid OS with great features on top, http://www.ht.com.au/part/Y1044-HP-ML15 ... detail.hts

ensure you get a backup solution also and a UPS for the server, i would recommend backing up data to a tape or usb device and a paid server from backblaze or the link that syncs your data to the cloud also

If you want more information, feel free to PM me Cap

Edit: Dell have some decent server deals too, but you still up around the 3k mark by the time you customise it to match the hp

Is it a domain?

How is your email done?

WISEST WHALE