An Apology in Advance!

Well to start, my apoligies to the Admins if i am bang out of order here........

I've been away from the scene for a bit over 4 years, and am now starting to look around at getting decks, etc to get back into it. After looking on ebay, i realise i can stretch to what i want (DNS-3500's, or CDJ's). However i have seen these "Hercules"(?) branded digital mixers. from what i can tell they seem to be a system to basically use your laptop/usb device as a cd and mix that way. Also saw some cheapish "All-In-One" setups (I Think one was a newmark iCD?)

Any suggestions? i know i'm basically talking stuff that i will either end up killing or outgrowing within 12-18 months (If that!), but my logic says if i get something cheapish to start with, and the missus sees i am actually going well, it'll be easier to convince her to let me get the good stuff down the track.

Oh, one last thing. Got my headphones covered. Sennheiser HD-25's! May have had to give up my DNS-3500's, but i didn't lose my headphones!

Hey mate,

What you are talking about is a Controller. Basically it plugs into your PC and works in conjunction with software. As long as you have a laptop/PC to hook into this is a good way to start off.

Have a look here https://www.storedj.com.au/categories/Digital-DJ

This will be a bunch of different controllers that you can use. I wouldn't buy directly from store dj unless they have a good price or sale, but use it as a guide.

Depending on how much you have to spend, I would go for a S4 (https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-KNTRLS4) if you are definately wanting a controller. Brilliant equipment/ software combo

Thanks. i just remember from past experiences in other forums, some admins get right nasty if they think you have preached "their" rules by asking questions, when they think "But that's in a sticky!", or shoulda been in a different area! Cheers Bud! looking foward to getting back into it!

You'll find this forum is pretty different to what you've seen before

If you ask for help you'll be helped. Hopefully you do a quick search first but most of the time, if not you'll be pointed in the right direction

Thanks. i just remember from past experiences in other forums, some admins get right nasty if they think you have preached "their" rules by asking questions, when they think "But that's in a sticky!", or shoulda been in a different area! Cheers Bud! looking foward to getting back into it!

we aint ITM bro!!

Hercules DJ Console MP3 e2 USB DJ Controller

That's the controller i was looking at on ebay. I Know it's prolly a little "junky" with a price of $159 at StoreDJ, but i figure as a budget start it might be worth looking at. Hell if it works alright, it just means i might be able to conn the Denon's outta the Missus for Xmas! :lol:

Hercules DJ Console MP3 e2 USB DJ Controller

That's the controller i was looking at on ebay. I Know it's prolly a little "junky" with a price of $159 at StoreDJ, but i figure as a budget start it might be worth looking at. Hell if it works alright, it just means i might be able to conn the Denon's outta the Missus for Xmas! :lol:

if these are what i think they are, they have to be the smallest controller of it's kind on the market. I nearly bought one when i was at store DJ last.

they are seriously small.

if these are what i think they are, they have to be the smallest controller of it's kind on the market. I nearly bought one when i was at store DJ last.

Absolutley from what i can see. However, i can get around something like that with the missus, and once she see's i am actually having a red-hot go, and making good progress, then it will be a lot easier to talk her into letting me get a good controller (Or decks!). I'd love the S4 that was suggested, but she'd kill me if i spent $1,000 plus on kit at this point. have seen some other cheap-ish "all in one" packs. just trying to figure out my best options.

Absolutley from what i can see. However, i can get around something like that with the missus, and once she see's i am actually having a red-hot go, and making good progress, then it will be a lot easier to talk her into letting me get a good controller (Or decks!). I'd love the S4 that was suggested, but she'd kill me if i spent $1,000 plus on kit at this point. have seen some other cheap-ish "all in one" packs. just trying to figure out my best options.

The Hercules are very small.

Perhaps something like a Numark Mixtrack would be better suited. They come for around $270 with Traktor LE. Something good to begin with at a more reasonable price.

That said I haven't used one, but from what I hear good bang for your dollar. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

I got the mixtrack pro. Pretty good bang for your dollars, except once you get the basics down you'll want to go for something more advanced. I'm sorta getting to the stage where i wanna move from midi to timecode. So my opinion seems to match what you want here: cheap to get the basics down, and gives the ability to grow into something a bit better.

Its an inexpensive way to get into djing. Think caps has a Hercules he can give you the low down on one of them then you can decide what you like better :)

From memory the Herc mentioned doesnt have a inbuilt sound card so you would either need to buy one or use the onboard sound card of your PC (usually not the best).

You basically use a controller much like a keyboard to control your software (ie Traktor or Virtual Dj). The PC then ouputs the the audio via a sound card of some kind. A controller with inbuilt sound card is better as its more cost effective and usually easier to set up. It will also have an extra output for your headphones so you can cue up the next track. On onboard sound card may not have this option.

I think the Numark comes in two models, one with and one without a soundcard.

Well been looking at the Hercules RMX Vs. Numark, and also to really mix things up (No Pun Intended), have been looking at Numark all-in-one iCD beginner setups. Ah, it's doing my head in. I Think i'll set a budget, and just get the best shit i can for the price. might even wait a little bit, and get what i really want (CDJ-1000's on DNS-3500's)

^ i'd avoid the numark all in one do everythign machines.

they try to do too much and sacrifice qulaity IMO.

Cdjs or midi controller but not an all in one box.

mixtrack pro is steady but if you have previous experience on cdjs you may prefer them.

hercules were leading the field in controllers but still so small. i think mixtrack pro better than hercules but you'd prob want to upgrade the software to traktor proper not just the LE version. i did a review on here of the mixtrack and mitch added some knowledge:

http://www.ausdjforums.com/modules.php? ... xtrack+pro

Well when i had my last setup, it had a set of DNS-3500's, with a crappy Behringer DX626(?) Mixer.

Was thinking something along those lines would be nice, but $$$, know what i mean? Actually speaking Denon, anyone know much about the DNS-1000's? I Mean it really comes down to finances and what i can get for my ca$h at the time

Well when i had my last setup, it had a set of DNS-3500's, with a crappy Behringer DX626(?) Mixer.

Was thinking something along those lines would be nice, but $$$, know what i mean? Actually speaking Denon, anyone know much about the DNS-1000's? I Mean it really comes down to finances and what i can get for my ca$h at the time

i used to have a pair, what would you like to know?

What is your budget again man? Can't remember...

As a begginer we usually recomend CDJ400's, CDJ350's , or even CDJ200's if you really don't wanna spend much (200's are very very basic)

but you seem like you want a full size platter (listed above ^ are all small platters)

that price for those mark 2's is pretty good but it depends on the condition of them, it's usually the MK3's you get ripped off on

also, check out the decks I just bought, CDJ850's, they are a heavy rival to the 1000's but are newer and better in my opinion :)