Feeling static from mixer - Djm 600 and 400

anditz

Hmmm the mixer should have a grounding pin right? Check it. If it doesnt replace the power cord with one that has a grounding pin (ask a pro though if this is possible...).

I know that with my reloop, from germany it doesnt come with grounds. So Aus distributors swap out the cords.

I had the same problem with my old DJM400, I got a new power board and it fixed the drama.

Pretty sure you cant change the plug, if it had 3 pins at the wall socket end it needs to have 3 sockets at he mixer end, and the DJM400 don't allow that.

Hook your decks up how you usually have them. If you are using a power board, instead of plugging your mixing into that plug it straight into its own wall socket(if you can). If not grab an extension lead and run the mixer with that to the wall.

If you get no static than you know it has something to do with your power board.

Im kind of sure you can just swap em. As i said i was told by dj warehouse they swap out the chords on all reloop mixers.

And when i was getting ground loop feedbacks, one of the suggestions was to change the mixer chord to one without a ground (because the laptop already has a ground ).

are you attaching vinyl turntable earths into it?

...What Hobberz said above will eliminate any faulty power boards but if you are using turntables and attaching their earth to the pin on the mixer then you can eliminate them as faulty by earthing them somewhere else to see if the mixer loses the static. I have seen people remove the two pin plug on various mixers and attach a new 3 pin plug with the turntable earths attached to the 3rd pin.

I'm no sparky so I cant vouch for how safe this is but i've seen it done and working.

...if the problem remains after trying all the things everyone mentioned above I would def get it checked by a pro though.

cdj 400s only use a 2 prong plug too. i have figured out how to earth it though...through the rca's! if i plug one of the master outs (or record out on 600 or 800) into the line in on my laptop it earths through my laptop power cable lol

as far as i can tell this static happens on all djms.

so you are using cd players.

you have a static build up in your mixer.

and you've solved it by putting the static into your laptop.

there is no earth on an rca cable.

Obv I cant see your set up from here and cant be sure but if I had your rig I would be troubleshooting every individual unit, cable and adaptor until I discovered where this static was coming from. Then I would have it professionally fixed. That's just me tho.

wtf? i have never experienced static from any dj mixer that wasnt at fault! That is wild mate.

dumb question: do you wear rubber or plastic soled shoes and walk on nylon carpets a lot? :teef:

thats possibly the maddest thing i ever heard man... i thought it was just one unit causing you grief.. but all DJM mixers... mad.

• 2 weeks later...

have ya got it fixed?

but um when i did my sparky pre-app we learnt about objects and shit, but if you have a metal casing then it should be a 3 pin plug top so it can be earthed but if its plastic casing then its got the 2 pin cause of plastic not being conductive

if you got any sparky friends then ask them to use a PAT meter on it which is a fault finder for earths on appliances+

you can't replace it with a 3 pin because the input into the back of the mixer is still only 2 pin..

are you sure? as i said, according the dj shop they said they swap out the cords on their euro made mixers (mine was a reloop from germany) with one that has a ground to comply with australian standards. and i just checked the other end and its just your standard 2 hole one?

and i remember being in harvey norman and i was trying to explain the ground loop hum to them, and the dude came around with a cord without the ground (a 2 pin) and said why dont you just swap it?

again im no expert, but unless you can't tell from the ends i'm pretty sure the end of my mixer looks like the end of my ghettoblaster (which uses a 2 pin chord).

ill get some pics