Traktor S4 sound quality prob

yizzle

Hey all, dont know if this has been a previous post.

been using Traktor S4 Pro for a little bit now. Sometimes, randomly it seems after using Traktor for an extended period of time the sound quality goes all glitchy and nasty. Very similar to when the CPU goes red on Traktor. (users will prob know what i mean) and the only way to fix it is to restart the program.

Does anyone else get this, or know why, how or what to do to fix it?

Cheers

Sounds like audio dropouts due to increased CPU load... are you PC or MAC mate?

if PC check all the details on optimising for audio courtesy of wazza:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5026

It's a lengthy process but worthy... especially using the dsp latency checker to see when the cpu load spikes - this helped me work out my internal soundcard was causing problems every couple of hours even tho I was using an external card.

If mac then you should still chk for updates to software, hardware updates, firmware updates etc as the manuals recommend.

Plus on mac for audio it can be worth disabling airport, time machine, dashboard and closing all other applications just to be safe.

hope that helps, if not please give more detail.

@ Robsta, i appreciate the feedback but i am next to certain this is not a speaker/amp problem. i keep both at a conscious variable. it really has a feel and sound of some kind of cpu mess with my pc/traktor together.

im really looking for maybe someone that has had the traktor cpu go into red sound but it does not go into red. (good god am i even making sense)

ill try the links, thanks. ill let it be known how it turns out :)

^Yer, that makes sense, and is what was happening to me.

The PC tune up in conjunction with DSP Latency Checker was a headache and time-consuming but I found my issue. Hope you find yours mate.

TBH tho: once I'd used wazza's links I learnt how many variables were at play with PC audio and then I bought a MAC. I still use my PC as Backup and for teaching work but there are so many drivers and other issues to remember to update regularly that I switched platform for gigs where I need 100% reliable for 5+hours.

Agree with foolish on this one, PCs have alot more variables as far as audio production and DJing is concerned. There is audio drivers, USB drivers, software specific settings etc. That all need to be right for a stable setup.

As for macs, Mine is 4 years old at least, and all I do Is turn off dashboard, bluetooth and airport for When I dj. never crashed after multiple 5-6 hr gigs. And barely any CPU load (around 5% most time).

However this wasn't about what computer you should have, so defs check wazzas links regarding audio setup, and here are some other general pointers that I use at work for general pc stability:

- back up any files you dont need on the internal hdd onto an external drive and remove from comp

- run a cleanup util program such as Ccleaner to clean up temp files, registry and unnecessary startup programs. Removing startup programs can make Hella difference.

-use disk defragmenter to help keep files in the smallest amount of pieces possible

I found disabling ACPI compliant control (battery control) and WIFI made most of my problems go away, and like mitch_fudd said CCleaner will also help run your whole computer run better. But no matter what I did my PC just didn't run my S4 as I thought it should be.

I never thought I would do it but I finally just sucked it up and bought a mac. At first I didn't want to hear it because they are just so damn expensive and I generally just don't like apple, but everything now runs exactly as it should.

• 2 weeks later...