Music production

MelodyIlliterate

^all will work better with an external soundcard as the internal soundcard on most computers is not of good enough spec to handle the amount of processing required for good audio.

Each piece of softaware will also have a "technical specification" or "system requirement" detailed on their website somewhere. This tells you what size processor and how much RAM you will need to run a programme sucessfully. That said many people run prod software with less then the ideal requirements and it's ok for a while... but when you have a lot of stuff going on in a track the computer processor cant handle it and you get clicks and pops which are called "audio dropouts"

I use ableton for messing around and small edits. It is aimed at DJs and remixers but the function it has called timewarping results in a very recognisable "ableton" sound. The pro's use protools or logic as it does have better sound quality.

If you have a mac you can start with garageband as it comes free on all macs now?

^all will work better with an external soundcard as the internal soundcard on most computers is not of good enough spec to handle the amount of processing required for good audio.

Each piece of softaware will also have a "technical specification" or "system requirement" detailed on their website somewhere. This tells you what size processor and how much RAM you will need to run a programme sucessfully. That said many people run prod software with less then the ideal requirements and it's ok for a while... but when you have a lot of stuff going on in a track the computer processor cant handle it and you get clicks and pops which are called "audio dropouts"

I use ableton for messing around and small edits. It is aimed at DJs and remixers but the function it has called timewarping results in a very recognisable "ableton" sound. The pro's use protools or logic as it does have better sound quality.

If you have a mac you can start with garageband as it comes free on all macs now?

Ah yeah. Well all i have at the moment is a crappy Dell laptop so an external sound card is probably the right way to go. Any thing you recommend ?

I've used Reason for most of my latest shit (the last 5-6 years or so)

Before that I've used a number of things from mixvibes to fruityloops.

I've had a shot at ableton but there's only so many hours i can sit there looking at it muttering 'wtf'

Ha ha so I'm guessing ableton is pretty hectic huh ?

Lol fruity loops. Think I

Might have to give that a crack

soundcard: I use the one I got with a digital vinyl system. Post a new thread in digital forum and you'll get plenty advice.

ableton: it isnt much worse than any others if you're starting from scratch. It just has a different approach to all the rest so if you were used to one thing ableton would be very wierd. watch some online tutorials and demos and you'll get an understanding of what will suit you.

A good starting point audio interface is the NI Audio Kontrol 1...its a solid mid-range interface with all the bells and whistles.

I started off with this unit and it hasnt failed me yet. Not too pricey either...

I also started off with fruityloops and im still using it. Its a DAW ive become comfortable with, so if you end up choosin FL dont hesitate to ask any questions.

But yeah like foolish said they are all capable with different approaches on things...it just comes down to preference.