Mixed in key

Suby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep originals until after I've listened to all of the analysed copies.

When I say dynamics meaning a really flat waveform will get expanded out and db adjusted, so it's on a similar volume to the rest of the tracks.

If I don't run them through for example, on my 850s some are just a full block for the waveform, and some are really small. After running them through the waveform shows quite nicely.

It is essentially a mastering tool to take all the tracks to a similar volume and similar 'height' of waveform without clipping.

• 2 weeks later...

this has increased my song searching by 100%, you can get mixed in key to arrange and rename the songs by tempo and key, so my folders no go genre tempo key, i dont use key that much, but i find as time goes on im doing it by accident just because my ear is naturally giving me the harmonic instinct, all in all it HAS made me a better DJ, its worth the $$$

mind you, if the track is in a chromatic scale (no sharps or flats) MIK would not able to give you a key analyses. but i would of thought it would come up as 'None & the BPM'

OR thinking about it the song could be in something like A-flat major which has 4 flats. so MIK would generate 4 possibilities?

still i have only seen 2 key possibilities in my MIK.

ok sorry i missed wiritng this,

here is how it helps me make CD's

harmonic mixing is a BIG thing with me, in my opinion it is the ultimate tool for a DJ, it allows you to be able to mash the 2 songs together without it sound like a trainwreck, and if your a novice it can really give you that stepping stone to learn how songs work without taking time away from mixing.

first thing i do is import my whole library, then let it analyse,

then really if you want to go through each song, because there are key changes between one song (some can have as many as 4...) songs like this are not hard to mix, just make sure you use the right keychange in the right area, with songs like this i usually manuall change the file name to include the keychanges in order for e.g 1A-3A-5B is how the file might look

i also organise my music in this order, which would be IMPOSSIBLE to do without mixed in key

Genre

||Tempo

||||Key

||||||Artist

||||||||Song

this allows me to keep within the area of the folder that i need to be in to keep that +/-10% tempo change and also allows me to keep my keys in check.

as time goes on you will naturally be able to either remeber or tell what key goes with what.

this is what works for ME, might not help with others, but its how i get my smooth mixes with seemless transitions :)