Mixed in key

Suby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so do people actually use that keylock thing? my turnies have the function if you plug as line in as opposed to phono, and yeah traktor has it. but i remember when i first started reading up on djing, one of the first things was dont use keylock?

I always use keylock :S

why shouldnt you use it?

the main reason i use it, is because if the beats are slipping whilst in the mix ill nudge the platter to keep it in beat. If keylock is off, u can hear the nudge of the platter (it sounds as if u were spining a vinyl on a turntable) with the keylock is off you dont hear any differences in the sound

I haven't considered mixed in key since the key always changes if you move the pitch off '0'. Makes more sense to let your ears decide if the tracks sound well together.

Master tempo/keylock fixes this?

It also degrades the quality of the audio...at least in the older hardware. Perhaps they have better master tempo/ keylock processing algorithms in the latest cdj's and traktor software...I haven't tried it yet.

The sound degradation was an issue in its early days. The newer players, as well as the newer versions of traktor/serato, have improved the algorithms over time.

It's alot better now, and If you don't pitch too far up or down its fine. I try to mix similar BPM tracks anyway, so i don't need to pitch more than 3%, so it's not really too much of an issue (for me at least).

no idea why people use to say dont use it. i think maybe it was about messing with the sounds of the song but as mitch has pointed out, algorithms probably have been improved.

but i definitely distinctly remember reading/ watching in beginners material that keylock should be avoided

DONT USE KEY-LOCK WITH TIME CODE ....when using key lock on your turntable &/or cd player with time code vinyl ( serato & traktor scratch ) it fucks up the time code signal before it go's to your laptop & can make your time code very unstable & you can get bad drop-outs

you have to use the key-lock in the software then you will be ok

The program scans it and it adds the key to the id tag for you. You can get it to add it to the artist, song or comments fields. It can add it to a dedicated key field also but not all programs will read this. If you don't use the comments field for anything i find that works well. However if your using CDJs adding it to the end of the song name can be handy as you can then read it straight off the CDJ screen

Eggs: like wazza said: dont use keylock/mastertempo on a deck playing timecode. Use the DVS software keylock instead.

These days I always have it on. It not only maintains key/pitch as you alter tempo (so avoiding any nonsense "chipmunk" effect) but it also covers the warp sound you get if you need to do an extreme nudge.

Dinosaurs claim it is one of the elements of digital DJing which is cheating because you no longer have to be as careful about beatmatching. The ability to do massive nudges without anyone noticing really simplifies beatmatching.

I've never tried mixed in key though. I still follow my own judgement as to what sounds good or not in that respect, and no doubt I often get it wrong :)

• 2 months later...

I use platinum notes, works well.

Normalises songs to a standard volume so it takes alot of guessing out on the gain adjustments when mixing in the next track, they are going to be a very similar volume, only minor adjustment needed at best.

Just depends if you think its worth the investment.