struggling

which aids are you using?

some are on some CDJs and vinyl too. Some can be removed by altering the view on itch (depending on your version)

Personally I would recommend learning without the detailed waveforms so you can adapt to cdjs etc, but lots of people do use laptops live too, depends on the dj and the club and if you are happy to take your lappy with.

ok, so on my itch the huge waveforms right across the middle of the screen can be removed by scrolling through the view options. The view options have a button on my NS6 but I think the four little icons to the right of the time display on your screenshot (top left corner) also do this.

the little dial things that give you an idea of where you are in each rotation are a straight copy of how we used to draw a line on each bit of vinyl. Comes in real handy for scratching and cueing. Some CDJs have them some don't but you are stuck with them on itch.

All Cdjs and DVS show bpm, only vinyl wont.

If you really want to "put the blast shield down" and feel the force then I guess you could always drape a bit of material over the screen so it hangs just above the browser, or you could just try keep your eyes on something else, or do as eggs says^.

BTW (and ignore this if you like it this way): you can toggle the djfx/sp6/rec horizontal display on/off to free up more room for your browser. Just click on whichever one is on and it will go off.

If you set up good crates you can also lose the "files" area of the browser and so see more actual playlist/have less clutter. The file, browse, prepare etc things all toggle so again just click whichever is on to turn it off.

You can choose which columns are shown in the browser, I like to have the BPM column visible so I can see if two songs will possibly match before I load them. You can then sort the playlist by that column by clicking on the top field of the column. I used to manually time and then write bpm on all my vinyl sleeves so again, this is not in anyway giving you an unfair advantage.

hit me back if doesnt help :)

ahh your a legend... one of those options were perfect... now just going to start training myself to do it ll by ear...

hmm next question was going to be the whole crate thing more like.... how does everyone else organise they're music cause i just have all my dj tracks everywhere....

maybe another time...

but thanks for all that... any tips about doing all this without looking like recommended genres for beginners or just go for it?

I felt the same way when I used to use a midi controller. What I would do when practicing was load my playlist up then turn the screen of my laptop off.

So I was learning with my ears instead of eyes.

But also just putting some material over top half of screen would do the job

my CDJs can measure the BPM, for the first few months of practise i covered them with bluetack

in your case with the computer screen, i would sticky tape a sheet of paper to the top of the screen so it flops down and covers the screen.

only hold up the paper to change songs, and let the paper flop down again. Mix by ear, you'll never look back

cheers gents... gave it a crack last night and nailed it first time for about three songs... then started getting sloppy... grr frustrating... will have to wait until exams are over

It's not an overnight thing, it can take a little while for some, also ages for some others, and you could be anywhere in between. so just stick at it and you'll eventually get there mate. Good luck :)