help choose between two CDJs

Narukami

Halew guys, i need some help. I've decided to buy a pair off CDJs but i'm stuck between two. Now my level of DJ-ing like good but not that good. So i guess i'm an Intermediate DJ. Also, i'm only 16 so i don't have a high budget. probably around $2000.

So my first choice is a Pioneer CDJ 400 Pack. It costs around $1600. Comes with 2xCDJ 400 (Derr) and a DJM 400 mixer. My other choice is the Denon DN-S3700 pack which costs like $1800. It comes with the CD Players and a behringer DDM 4000. The DNS is pretty cool though. the platter spins so it feels like vinyl. But having Pioneer can really help me get places.

Think about it. if you have nike shoes, you're the best. But if you have generic brand shoes, you're

poor. I hate marketing.

The Good thing about pioneer players as the layout of all of them are the same, so once you learn how to use them, you can use any of them.

Saying that, the fundamental skills are all the same.

Maybe something like the cdj 350 pack that opticon has for sale in the buy and sell section would suit you?

Think about it. if you have nike shoes, you're the best. But if you have generic brand shoes, you're

poor. I hate marketing.

dont think like that, its not true, the most gnarly people rock out with whatever the hell they want.

Anyone can make shit music on $4000 worth of gear & vice versa

on the technical side, these guys know :D

Maybe something like the cdj 350 pack that opticon has for sale in the buy and sell section would suit you?

Well if i want a pair off CDJs I'd probably want ones that are scratch capable so i can practice my turntablism

dont think like that, its not true, the most gnarly people rock out with whatever the hell they want.

Anyone can make shit music on $4000 worth of gear & vice versa

Haha, yeah i know. That's why i said i hated marketing :safe:

Well the pio decks have vinyl mode which you can scratch with if that's what you mean, they just don't have moving platters. So you can scratch with them.

If your serious about scratching, you may want to go with turntables with a time code setup. or as you said there is cdjs with moving platter.

Not sure what cdjs do that, or which are good/bad models, wazza knows his stuff in that department though

The scratching on the cdj 350 is ok..love this video...just shows that if you can scratch you can scratch on anything and make it sound good

The denon 3700 are all good with the 9 inch turnning platter ....or wait for the new 3900 to come out after namm..

Or you can look at a numark ns 7 for about $1300

I know that it's better to scratch with vinyl but I'm just starting out and as I said, i'm gunna practice with CDJs then I'm gonna buy some turntables and hone my skills there. i have a friend who owns scratches with vinyls so he can probably teach me aswell.

and i thought the 350s couldn't scratch?

i'm gunna practice with CDJs then I'm gonna buy some turntables and hone my skills there.

If this is the case would you not be better starting out with vinyl? save on double expense when you want to get turtables?

CDj's and turntables are pretty different beasts so if you intend to move to turntables you'd be as well starting on them.

Should be able to get a decent set of direct drive tables for a good price.

my set of numark TT 2 pro's only sold for $230.

If this is the case would you not be better starting out with vinyl? save on double expense when you want to get turtables?

CDj's and turntables are pretty different beasts so if you intend to move to turntables you'd be as well starting on them.

I agree with you completely BUT i'd practice on CDJs first because off CDs. If i had a chance, i would. buy turntables but then i'd have to buy records and they aren't cheap. i saw a record that was like $100. If i buy CDJs first not only i can a) hone my DJ-ing skills and practice some scratching aswell but also B) I'd save money. Like i said, i'm only 16 and i don't have a lot off money on me.

plus, as i said, my friend owns a pair of turnies (as he likes to call them) and i can practice off them aswell. i can also probably get a "friendly" discount if he wants to get rid off them someday. also, scratching is just something i'm putting aside. something i'll use if i wanna make my sets abit interesting or for showing off to my friends. not planning on doing it profesionally... yet

and wouldn't it be easier to move my equipment around when i get hired?

Cdjs are going to be smaller, lighter and therefore easier to move around. Especially when you sit it all in one

roadcase. These can scratch as wazza said.

The 350s are actually a newer model than the 400s, so your probably better off with the 350s. They are also recordbox compatible for when your preparing your usbs

If your keen on getting cdjs and on a low budget, something like this would be ideal man, in WA too: viewtopic.php?t=8622

This is the one andyman was talking about.

I agree with you completely BUT i'd practice on CDJs first because off CDs. If i had a chance, i would. buy turntables but then i'd have to buy records and they aren't cheap. i saw a record that was like $100. If i buy CDJs first not only i can a) hone my DJ-ing skills and practice some scratching aswell but also B) I'd save money. Like i said, i'm only 16 and i don't have a lot off money on me.

plus, as i said, my friend owns a pair of turnies (as he likes to call them) and i can practice off them aswell. i can also probably get a "friendly" discount if he wants to get rid off them someday. also, scratching is just something i'm putting aside. something i'll use if i wanna make my sets abit interesting or for showing off to my friends. not planning on doing it profesionally... yet

and wouldn't it be easier to move my equipment around when i get hired?

Fair enough if you can get a shot of them somewhere.

Although mst records don't cost $100. Rare records might cost this. Most expensive record in my collection is worth around $130 but thats because there's not many around.

if you dig through second hand shops (or even better discogs) you get some cracking records on the cheap. some for the price on an mp3.

It's all about diggin....

you know what guys? after chattin with some friends yesterday and asking people around, checking stores and talking to some experts,i've decided to go "puck it" and buy my self a pair of 900s. yeah it'll take longer but i'm only 16 right? how many shows will i get in the next two years? :safe::thumright:

*sigh* bette ask for more shifts at mcdonalds...

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/specials/ ... jm700.html

probably the best deal since i'm getting all that good stuff

Dude, go with the 350's you wont regret it

Scratching on cdj's is a gimmick IMO anyway, 350's is the perfect package for someone starting, I mean you don't even need to buy scratch sound card to work it with traktor.

Im using 800's with a djm 400, And honestly I think I should have gotten the 350 package.

Do it man, it's a great choice! you won't regret it.

argh! so many opinions, so many decisions :wall: why can't there just be one alpha CDJ where not only is it affordable but works as well as all the other cd players out there? oh yeah, they have the same marketing stratergy as apple WHOOPS DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD?!

Well as i said, i'm probaly not gonna have alot of shows in the next 2 years (unless i decide i want to start a rave at my school, with my teachers permission off course). So i have two years to decide really. but as the salesman told me the other day: if you wanna get in the business fast, buy the cheaper models but if you think you're gunna get far in your career, buy the pro models