Mixing Drum & Bass

mattus123

Hey guys

ive recently started getting into Drum & Bass and decided to try adn mix it

so far I'm having a HEAP of fun doing it, but im noticing that there seems to be things im having difficulty with that i dont have as much with electro/house.. mainly phrasing and beatmatching

beatmatching will come as i get my ear more in tune with DnB, as there is alot more going on compared to electro

just wondering if you veterans might be able to weigh in with some tips from mixing D'n'B

do you normally have long transitions, or is it more based around quicker transitions (over 8 bars or something)

cheers guys

I find drum and bass gets easier then electro eventually dude, dnb has more of a constant drum pattern with usually just a kick, snare n hi hat, where as electro they will drop the snare and just have a kick, and now there is dubstep type beats and breakdowns screwed in electro...

Just stick with it until it comes

yea i suppose

i find i can read electro pretty well though

like even if i havent heard the song before, i can predict when the drop will occur within about 8 bars of it (you can kind of feel it coming).... i cant do this with DnB yet, which is why my phrasing is off

i guess this will just come with practice though ey

I'd have to agree with what everyone has said, personally I like doing long transitions, think the longest 1 if done has lasted bout 2min, but like cupe said, some tracks drop straight away, I've found these days that I can mix dnb better than I would breaks or electro, with the fast tempo it is easier for me to beat match it, end of the day bro it takes a lot of practice, and enjoying it is the 1st step :P