Gemini CDJ 700

SolDios

2011-08-12-210149cdj700-TOPcopy-52fefce9f73c6e707c07b76c357634f5.jpg

Flexibility for the modern DJ.

The innovation behind Gemini’s new CDJ-700 focuses on two key elements of DJ performance: versatility and control. Due to the incredible variety of modern media, DJs can’t be restricted to a single format, so the CDJ-700 offers incredible flexibility, allowing playback from CDs, SD cards and USB memory devices in a variety of file formats (MP3, AAC, WAV and AIFF). Plus, the CD slot, which features compatibility with CDs, CD-Rs and MP3 CDs, also boasts an amazingly quick load-time of just eight seconds!

More than a touch of innovation...

And when it comes to control, the CDJ-700 provides a new dimension of tactile command by incorporating the industry’s first touch-sensitive display screen. Now you can navigate between folders and tracks, adjust tempo and even set effect values using the same intuitive controls found on the world’s most popular media players and smart phones.

Feature-rich and user-friendly.

A large, high-resolution jog wheel with three selectable modes allows you to operate Cue, Scratch, Slip and Loop Adjust functions, while a display screen in the middle of the wheel indicates your mode, track position and slip position. And the jog wheel is painstakingly designed to offer super-accurate control with a completely natural feel. In fact, a Rotary Adjust feature lets you fine-tune the jog wheel’s resistance for a custom feel, whether you’re partial to stiff and heavy, light and loose or anything in between.

For ultra-precise beat matching, the Master Tempo mode enables tempo adjustment without changing the original pitch of the track; but if pitch manipulation is your thing, then feel free to tweak away with the Pitch Control fader.

Want more functionality? How about MIDI? Thanks to its MIDI capabilities, you can control the parameters of your favorite DJ software right from the unit and route your audio through its 24-bit/192kHz soundcard!

Get creative.

Creativity is so important when crafting your own original sound, which is why the CDJ-700 provides six DSP-powered effects with Dry/Wet level control. Additional functions like Pitch Bend, Hot Cueing, Reverse and Loop Sections, along with versatile BPM options, round out the collection of professional features that fully complement the CDJ-700’s user-friendly design.

Connecting convenience.

For true connecting convenience, the unit includes line output jacks on the rear panel, along with a USB out for hooking up your computer. And a digital output (S/PDIF) allows you to plug into an external mixer or even interface with your favorite DAW and record without conversion. So let your imagination run wild! You can rest assured knowing the CDJ-700 will keep pace thanks to comprehensive features and outstanding audio quality.

Intuitive control at your fingertips.

By the way, did we mention the vibrant and convenient LCD touch screen display? Flexible control has never been so powerful, so effortless… and so touchable! Features like Time, Tempo, BPM, Track Select and even Effect Values can be controlled with the touch of a finger, bringing ease-of-use to an entirely new level.

Inspired by the latest technological trends, the CDJ-700 literally puts professional features and innovative design right at your fingertips.

Fast loading slot-in CD-ROM compatible with Audio CDs, CD-Rs, MP3-CDs

USB input for flash drive, plus SD card slot (SDHC compatible up to 32GB)

Full-color 3.5" TFT touchscreen with contrast adjustment and comprehensive waveform display

8" touch-sensitive jog wheel with LCD display and resistance control

Three selectable jog modes: Search / Pitch Bend / Scratch Effect with Slip Mode and Reverse

PC/Mac Audio I/O interface (up to 24-bit/192kHz)

MIDI capability for use as a software controller

Stereo RCA outputs and S/PDIF digital audio outputs

Six DSP-powered effects: Filter, Flanger, Echo, Wah, Trance and Bubble with wet-dry control

Three programmable Hot Cues for instant playback points

BPM functions including auto (sync), manual (tap) and BPM lock

Variable pitch control with six settings: +/- 4%, 8%, 16%, 24%, 50%, 100% and Master Tempo Control

Plays MP3, AAC, WAV and AIFF formats

Seamless Loop with Reloop and Loop Adjust

Frame accurate search with buttons or jog wheel

Start/Stop time jog mode adjustment

Anti-shock using RAM buffer memory

Gemini's new cd player, basically they have gotten the features from 2000's and 900's, with the effects from 400's and combined them.

(It also has needle search using the top section of the touch screen)

From reading various articles on it, the quality of the unit is apparently quite high. And the manual filters are a nice touch.

Even has an in-built usb and soundcard for mapping to software

At $500 a pot, it's quite affordable and if nothing else, shows the profit margin on cdj 2000's

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, did you have a play around with it,

I don't get the hate, so they hate it for trying to give them the features they want?

If they made it with decent quality materials, this could have been huge!

I mean full colour screen, hot cues, effects, usb inputs and 24khz audio for $700 brand new

Bargin

Shame they didn't take advantage of this oppertunity :/

Oh, did you have a play around with it,

I don't get the hate, so they hate it for trying to give them the features they want?

If they made it with decent quality materials, this could have been huge!

I mean full colour screen, hot cues, effects, usb inputs and 24khz audio for $700 brand new

Bargin

Shame they didn't take advantage of this oppertunity :/

It's not merely giving people features, the unit itself is a blatant and lame copy of the new pioneer players, and people notice this.

Overall they are by no means a terrible unit but in the gemini vs pioneer debate that will come up due to them looking so similar and having similar features you wouldnt think twice about staying with pioneer.

the screen is pretty crap, too small and touch screen is fairly useless.

Job is quite good, imo not as good as the pioneer more along the reloop lines.

They are very quick at loading though, but no link feature or possibilty of a pro dj link type application is disappointing.

Overall quality of parts and build quality you wouldnt choose them over pioneer, if they were 500ish each some entry level buyers would find them a good option but as they are priced now, no way.

CDJ effects also suck compared to mixers ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Review from DJ Worx up now

http://djworx.com/review-gemini-cdj-700-media-player/

In stock now and available to demo at most stores (if you're interested give them a call)

http://www.lightsounds.com.au/img_src_http_www.lightsounds.com.au_content_fs_red_8346_prd1.htm?pSearchQueryId=346942

Just to answer a couple of points

the screen is pretty crap, too small and touch screen is fairly useless.

Still a better screen then most CDJs on the market

but no link feature or possibilty of a pro dj link type application is disappointing.

This feature isn't availabe on any Pioneer players until you get to the CDJ900 so not a suprise. USB hard drives are so cheap these days so no problem to buy a couple of sticks

CDJ effects also suck compared to mixers ones

Not everybody has a mixer with effects so the option is there. The filter is especially useful with the ability to control it with the jog wheel

One thing I noticed was this, I don't really understand it though, could someone help me?

For the number crunchers, it provides both 16 and 24 bit depth and 44.1, 48, 96 and 192kHz sampling rate

Does that mean even if you play a 320kbs mp3, it only comes out at 192kbs? or are they different things all together?

One thing I noticed was this, I don't really understand it though, could someone help me?
For the number crunchers, it provides both 16 and 24 bit depth and 44.1, 48, 96 and 192kHz sampling rate

Does that mean even if you play a 320kbs mp3, it only comes out at 192kbs? or are they different things all together?

for a start one is the sampling rate that audio is produced at (kHz) and the other is the bit depth an mp3 is saved at (kbs)

Thanks man! That's a really nice review right there!

I defiantly want to check this out on my Sydney stop over to new zealand later this year.

Do you do extended warranty on this item just in case we have any doubts?

Yes there's an extended warranty. Follow the link below

http://www.lightsounds.com.au/img_src_http_www.lightsounds.com.au_content_fs_red_8346_prd1.htm?pSearchQueryId=346942

Played on them at the canterbury launch, not terrible but not amazing.

Despite Lightsound's obvious bias the screen wasnt very good i dont like how it's portrait instead of landscape, the eq whilst more detailed is fairly useless because you cant see the whole song at once (unless this a setting you can change?)

It loaded stuff very quick which was nice but really apart from that wasnt anything special, the effects were pretty horrible def wouldnt be dropping them in a live set, they are similar to the sound quality of cdj 200 effects or djm 600 ones, good for a beginner but that's about it.

Job, cues and pitch was only average, again not terrible but not up to pioneer standards.

I know it seems like im straight out comparing them to pioneer but please when you blatantly copy another manufactures features and design you are going to get that.

The biggest issues with these, pricing.

In no way at the current price would i consider them over any player on pioneer's line, they should be cheaper because essentially they are an entry level unit, quite similar in quality to the reloops but really for people to be interested they have to be cheaper.

I'm not sure exactly why lightsounds bother pushing these so much? It is because you dont get enough margin on the pioneer gear?