Low bitrate MP3's skipping in my CD turntables

Hypernova

Hi guys,

I'm having a major problem with a bunch of music i just got of a mate. Its a heap of mp3's that i've burned onto CD's which then skip like hell in my CD-DJ's and my S-250's. My other, store bought 320kbps, tracks work just fine. These new mp3's range from 60 to 192kbps, and they are almost all unreliable, even with my burner turned down as low as possible. Do you guys know of any program i could use to convert them to higher bit-rate quickly? (I'm talking 500 tracks here) or should i just dump all the low ones?

Thanx

you can't just convert them to a higher quality

What if i converted them to .wav and back again through audition or something? Would take forever though.

dump all of those low bitrate tracks, you don't want to be playing them.

Go and buy what songs you actually want in a high quality format (320 or wav)

I wish I could, but its literally about 10 gigs worth of tunes, proper singles, and I don't have the money to buy 1% of that. Its just too good not to try. Heaps of old stuff too, like Happy Hardcore from the 90's. I'm not sure I could even find that stuff digitally.

Try burning them as audio CDs (ie only a few tracks per disc). Some types of CD players struggle to read MP3s off a CD.

I did that unfortunately. I usually don't have more than six or seven tracks per DJ CD. It recognises the tracks, it just skips like hell on the really low bitrate songs, and is inconsistent on the higher bitrate songs.

There's no way around it aye

You can't just up the quality of tracks, otherwise shit quality tracks wouldn't exist

But is it the quality of the tracks that causing them to skip? Or is it the format? I was thinking if i somehow recorded them at a higher bitrate, they'd still sound like shit, but at least they'd play.

If you put a mazda 121 engine in a Ferrari, it's still a mazda 121

You can't just pull quality out of nowhere.

Trust me, if you cant it's better to just chuck em, then grab the 320's from "Somewhere else" wink wink nudge nudge, there are huge packs of em from every genere

The actual sound quality of the files will never change if you change them and export from programs again they will still hold the original quality.

What is interesting is why they are skipping, it sounds like the files could be bad or they way your mate has burnt mp3 discs, i never burn mp3 because they are slower and quite often have issues.

Double check the files dont skip when just played on media player for example.

But that's the thing, I'm trying to improve the quality of the track itself, I just want the fucking thing to play in any of my CD decks without skipping. Or am I not going to be able to do that without actually increasing the quality? i.e. not gonna happen?

Trust me, if you cant it's better to just chuck em, then grab the 320's from "Somewhere else" wink wink nudge nudge, there are huge packs of em from every genere

I'll have to look around.

The actual sound quality of the files will never change if you change them and export from programs again they will still hold the original quality.

Yeah I know, I'm not actually trying to make them sound better. Its not commercial quality sound but i wouldn't use any of this stuff commercially anyway.

What is interesting is why they are skipping, it sounds like the files could be bad or they way your mate has burnt mp3 discs, i never burn mp3 because they are slower and quite often have issues.

Nah, he just gave me the files, I burnt them through windows media player (as .cda's i guess).

Double check the files dont skip when just played on media player for example.

They sound fine on the PC, and the CD player chugs through my other stuff, both CDR and commercial CD's. I've burned the same tracks on different types of CDR, which didn't work. Some of the tracks (the higher bitrate) improved when i burt them slower, but not enough.

*wtf*

just buy all your music from legit sources, if you wanna take djing seriously?

otherwise just do liek sol^ or rip from youtube or godknows what else people do

• 4 weeks later...

hey dude i used to get a similar issue with skipping CDs, except it happened my CDs at random

i cant see how the bitrate of a song would effect its playability of a CD though. i ithnk it might jsut a be a coincidence

the issue with my problem was the CD burner, i dunno what was going wrong but the CDs became un-reliable. as soon as i got a new cd burnrer there wasnt a problem.

u can test it easily by using the exact same tracks (copy onto usb) and burn a cd using a mates computer, if they work fine then u know its the burner and not the tracks.

also! buy ur music, ur ensured good sound quality, ur supporting hte industry, and it jsut feels good to buy your music :)