sol republic v8, v10 - My Review

SolDios

After finding display pairs of the Sol Republic v8's and v10's in JBHIFI. I decided to write a review.

Web_Tracks_Colorware_940%20%C3%97%20396_V1ja-1.jpg

V8 Review - $120

Picking up the headphones and actually having a feel of them they are surprisingly solid. The headband twists and turns without any stress or signs of breaking, and the drivers sit secure and tight on the band itself. On you're head they're surprisingly nice on your ears, and clamp down well without putting an uncomfortable amount of pressure on them.

The cable is a tad flimsy, but it is easily disconnect and put in a bag. They are also REALLY cheap to replace, $20 or less online.

Once music starts playing they have some decent isolation, not even being able to hear myself speak properly. The highs and mids are quite warm, with more of a punch in the low end then hd25's. They really are quite nice to listen to. They are also very loud, you won't need to have the volume up much.

V10 Review - $140 - $180

Same build quality as the V8's, but they sit quite differently on you're ears, for some reason they sit slightly slanted towards the back of you're ear, which is quite uncomfortable. Even wearing the headphones the other way around I could not overcome this issue.

Sound wise I actually preferred the V8's, the high's on the V10's are quite sharp and hurt you're ears! That combined with the backwards slant made me want to get them off me. The low end also doesn't seem to have any difference in punch from the v8's.

v12 Review - $140 - $200

(Check back later, as a display pair is not currently available)

Conclusion,

At $120 or less the v8's are a bargain. Topping every other over ear in this price range with ease, with easily replaceable parts and quite alot of color customization (if you're into that kind of thing), you're also not playing an arm and a leg for replaceable parts (I'm looking at you Sennheiser :rufknsrs:)

As for the v10's, I wouldn't touch them, the piercing vocal's combined with the slant really blow it. I wouldn't recommend them for anything.

Thanks for reading!

They are in a completely different league to 25s.

These are epilepsy inducing coloured, peasant appealing, hang around your neck whilst walking down the road, swag/yolo fagget rubbish.

If you were to use these in a club you would be as bad as the guys who use dr dre beats, only the poor mans version.

Dont get me wrong they have a place and a suitable market, but djing is not one of them.

Not sure if getting up them for the color's reason is valid.

The colors are quite plain and minimalist, not to mention they shouldn't be blamed for appealing to peasants too.

By doing making different colors available to they also appeal to the public they have expanded there market by 40%

Every brand does it, why do you think they brought out the Adidas blue edition of the hd25's?

I agree that they are a different league to hd-25's, but as I have been saying they should not be compared to them.

They are at a completely different price point, of course your going to probably get more with anything in the $200 mark because they ARE $100 ish dearer. If you're going to compare them, compare them with something at the same price point.

Don't get me wrong, hd25's are superior, but they are just not accurate to judge the sol's with them.

Edit: Thank you cupe.

Thanks Sol for the review. We should get more of these type of reviews going on here. Would help a lot of others out.

I think $120 is a great price for a pair of headphones and where diminishing returns really kick in. While HD25's may certainly be better can you say they are approximately 3 times better than the Sol Republic V8's? Plus the price really isn't necessarily a yardstick of quality, Beats are a great example of expensive headphone that sound no better than <$100 cans (They are made by Monster® afterall).

edit: For the record I have not heard either to judge for myself.

• 4 weeks later...