Cdjs to vinyl

DJedidiah

Hey,

Ive been looking at making the transfer to vinyl from cdjs. I have no knowledge in vinyl and would like to have a bedroom setup to muck around on and possibly play put in the future. I'm just running a 350. Complete setup and was wondering exactly what I would need.

Is my 350 mixer suitable?

What is the industry standard program for viny, serato? If so why?

What sort of budget would I need for 2 turntables, no I won't need 1200s, just something that is around the intermediate level.

And what is the difference between all the different "types" of vinyl available?

I know all these questions are very beginner ish but I thought this would be the best place to ask them.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Is my 350 mixer suitable?

any mixer that has two channels is fine. if you want to get into a bit of wigga wigga then a smooth cross fader (and one that lasts) is preferable, but not need for learning. for mixing i rarely touch the cross fader

What is the industry standard program for viny, serato? If so why?

hmmm. this is an argueable point. serato was first, so many that jumped straight onto it, cant move. so a lot of people using vinyl do use serato. traktor scratch pro is however used by a lot of dj's, even some of the best (craze!).

again depends on what you want. i pretty much use the dvs nothing more than to be my record crate, so serato and tsp have no advantage to each other. so look into the features available and see whether you will ever need them.

also look at your budget. i ended up w tsp purely because it was cheaper at the time.

What sort of budget would I need for 2 turntables, no I won't need 1200s, just something that is around the intermediate level.

2 x 1200's - on ebay if you search and wait long enough, you may be able to get at $1K. but up to $2K. Note crundos is selling!

2 x ST-150's new are about $1.5K may be even cheaper. so second hand you should be able to get both for less than a $1K

other cheaper brands to look out for second hand are the American Audio ones, vestax (though they are pricy)

And what is the difference between all the different "types" of vinyl available?

i assume you mean turntables? vinyl is vinyl, it is the medium you use on the turntables.

the main differences are

the drives i.e. belt or magnetic. for djing dont go with belt

torque i.e. the ability to get to full speed from a stop. now this is also debatable. 1200's have shit torque compared to the market, but have satisfied DJ's for many years. though many top turntablists moved away from them purely because of this reason

pitch resolution i.e well same as on cdj's

then there are headshells and needles, but these are replaceable

http://www.djcity.com.au/dj-gear/dj-tur ... -turntable

Would they be acceptable for a bedroom setup to learn on?

So the basic concept still applies to vinyl though?

Play track 1 To the crowd

Cue track 2 in your headphones

Put track 1 in your headphones

Play track 2 on the first beat (1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, etc)

Use the mixer channel volume outputs to send track 2 to the crowd.

refer oxykon blog it gets addictive.

i was lucky i had a headstart because i was buying vinyl in the days before consumer cd players were available :teef:

Yeah in my blog I managed to find some decent stuff today, but to get a decent collection it takes years and years

it gets addictive.

true that.

And yeah, once you start it sometimes doesn't seem to stop, that store I was at today, I was diggin through crates for about 2hrs and didn't even scratch the surface, spent $270, need to go back there and continue another day

i guess these days i look for things, or grab things i know.

but i remember back in the day of visiting disco city and grabbing a stack based on record labels, remixers, producers, the cover art. then just sitting on the provided turntables listening.

i remember one time hearing a sample from bobby browns dont be cruel, the "girrrl", on a really funky beat playing in the background. straight away going to the counter and saying whats that, i want it.

i still have that milli vanilli "girl you know its true" 12 inch :creepy:

that was before they were famous! i swear

EDIT: the remix on that 12 inch is still the shiz i dont care what anyone says! 8)

i love my vestax TT's! I also am a fiend for fresh vinyl. Good to see someone going back to the roots! big ups :thumright: , Just remember if you're going tradition vinyl (not controller) you will have no visual help, except stickers on your cue point (eh Eggs) I am thinking of upgrading to str150's coz the vestax are now about 10 years old. IMHO they are the best replacement for 1200's

hope this helps, though Eggs covered most of it :likeasir:

nothing beats crackle and static!

its where its at, but i have to say its a bit of a pain in the ass

there is just too much good music out there, so if i had to cop it all on vinyl (if it even existed) i would be broke and would need a mansion.

i am definitely no retro enthusiast. i only cop things i know i can't get on mp3 OR its the same price or cheaper than getting on mp3 (i.e. whole albums). but thats it. else ill just get digital version