Cdjs to vinyl

DJedidiah

And what is the difference between all the different "types" of vinyl available?

I notice most of your q's have been dealt with in true adjf style but i just thought i would offer a few thoughts on "types" vinyl:

Vinyl does get manufactured in various weights, these affect thickness, the thickness of vinyl allows for a deeper physical groove and the depth of groove affects the dynamic and so volume of the sound.

This doesnt mean that thicker vinyl = louder song. A crap cutting plant will still cut a crap groove on good vinyl.

But generally speaking if a vinyl is the well known 280gsm thickness then it has more chance of being a good piece of pie. So has more chance of having good sound quality.

Also: if you are going to scratch or manipulate vinyl at all then you need to pick an individual pressing where the centre hole is actually in the centre and not too "sloppy". Sloppy means a hole that is not quite round and which wobbles around the spindle. No one likes a sloppy hole :teef:

Serato or timecode vinyl are nearly always very good.

Other pressings can be really shit even though the song is great. Sometimes you just need to go with it coz it's the only pressing you'll get or you're buying online. But if you are in a shop and they have multiple copies look for the best individual piece. And dont buy a sealed copy without opening it and checking the thing itself. First check it fits on the spindle tight and doesn't wobble, then listen to it in reliable headphones. A shop which doesn't let you do this is not a vinyl shop IMHO.

And what is the difference between all the different "types" of vinyl available?

Also: if you are going to scratch or manipulate vinyl at all then you need to pick an individual pressing where the centre hole is actually in the centre and not too "sloppy". Sloppy means a hole that is not quite round and which wobbles around the spindle. No one likes a sloppy hole :teef:

a sloppy hole can be corrected with a few well place stickers ie through the hole a few times to tighten er up!

a sloppy hole can be corrected with a few well place stickers ie through the hole a few times to tighten er up!

do the grrls mind

I live in Perth and have never bought vinyl online.............my chances of finding it here in our 2 record stores is low! I shall now make my first online vinyl purchase, thankyou very much for the link! :thumleft:

You find so much more online. Oh don't try order anything through Tim @ Mills. You'll be waiting. An active member here has also had the privilege to experience this :P

Thanks heaps for clarifying the differences in vinyl.

I was talking to one of the tradesmen at work today and he was saying something about how the "thinner" vinyl can 'warp' if left in crates during the hotter months, has anyone had this misfortune before?

Personally I'll be buying alot of my vinyl online as there's not really any designated vinyl stores around Byron/gold coast tht I know of

yes mate, all vinyl can warp, just like lengths of wood will if allowed to warm up or cool down too quick.

If you keep all your vinyl stacked vertically with solid book ends they shouldnt warp.

If you leave them out resting on an angle and a sunbeam falls on it you can expect it to be unplayable pretty quickly.

Never leave it near a radiator/hot water pipe etc.

I have in fact seen a vinyl placed on a deck in the sunshine and watched it bend upwards almost instantly as it warped. This is why DJs alwasy go under cover in rain or shine.

I live in Perth and have never bought vinyl online.............my chances of finding it here in our 2 record stores is low! I shall now make my first online vinyl purchase, thankyou very much for the link! :thumleft:

You find so much more online. Oh don't try order anything through Tim @ Mills. You'll be waiting. An active member here has also had the privilege to experience this :P

Uhuh, 6 months for a new release :(

Top work ox! Im chasing shook ones II single i neeeeed that acapella. So many choice cuts!

If you find it you shall be showered with alcohol!

So I went back their today and came out with a couple of deeps stuff, although not what you were looking for

u2adyvud.jpg

Will look again in New York, I know a place that I'm sure will have it