About me and some dj questions (the basics)

startingdj

i have a icd dj in a box with nxd 200 and im1 mixer. I have just started djing and im going to have some lessons. at the moment i mix songs together and just play around, but i want to be a legit dj. I'm wondering what is the best type of music to mix and just the basics to djing.

thanks it would be great help

check out my starter mixes i recorded from my phone so please no dislikes

could you tell me what i need to work on thanks

Yeah certainly no 'best' type of music to mix, obviously the commercial ends of rnb/hip hop and dance will be the easiest to get gigs playing.

There is a huge amount of tutorials/videos online, and i think youll find most on here learnt by figuring it out as opposed to dj schools which can be rushed and an overly simplistic idea of djing.

Yeah certainly no 'best' type of music to mix, obviously the commercial ends of rnb/hip hop and dance will be the easiest to get gigs playing.

There is a huge amount of tutorials/videos online, and i think youll find most on here learnt by figuring it out as opposed to dj schools which can be rushed and an overly simplistic idea of djing.

what do you think of like hardstyle trance techno club are they good, there like the stuff i listen to. i hear that mixing swedish house mafia is good how about that

Hardstyle and trance are very much 'niche' genres in Australia, which means it is fairly hard to get gigs unless you produce or form a decent relationship with a crew playing that type of music.

House/electro would be your best bet in terms of getting gigs, yes swedish house mafia goes down well at all electro/house clubs even in full on commercial sets people dig them.

Hardstyle and trance are very much 'niche' genres in Australia, which means it is fairly hard to get gigs unless you produce or form a decent relationship with a crew playing that type of music.

House/electro would be your best bet in terms of getting gigs, yes swedish house mafia goes down well at all electro/house clubs even in full on commercial sets people dig them.

what type of music is the best for mixing that most people like

can you tell me if this is any good In My Mind VS Greyhound (Swedish House Mafia)

For learning to mix most people find straight dance music the easiest to get started with. If you have several songs all of which have a kickdrum on every beat of the bar and not too much other complication in the rhythm you can hear easier if the beats are matched well.

f the songs you learn with also have the standard dance song 32 beat intro before the song drops then you can really get the basics learnt quickly.

apart from that, as the lads above said, choose what you like if you want to enjoy it or choose the top 10 on beatport if you want to be popular. Just remember this - at the moment their are hundreds of slim shadies just like you learning the same thing with the same idea in mind. So competition is high for chart/club DJs. Competition for creative/individual DJs is the same as it always as been.