CDJ850 looping...

Otto

So I have 2x CDJ850s, and right now I'm kind of frustrated. More often than not, the auto-beat loop will be a little bit off, i.e. it might be a tiny bit too long, or a tiny bit too short. This (to me) renders it almost useless, and quite often I find myself actually looping manually or using the roll effect to loop...

From what I have read, this is due to the fact that rekordbox works with 1ms accuracy, whereas CDJ850s work with 1 frame accuracy (i.e. 13ms). So if it's a frame off, it's a whole 13ms off, rather than it being just a ms or two off...

So my question is, is there any way around this?

No way around it on the 850s

I use manual looping on mine (and honestly prefer it to the auto loops anyway).

Once you learn to time manual loops right it becomes instinct anyway and you'll get pretty good at it without thinking much

Are you using rekordbox analysed files via usb?

I have the 900s and the auto loops work perfectly.

900s have quantised looping.

850s don't have quantised looping, so it calculates the loop in the same manner it did for the auto loops on the cdj 800s, not from the rekordbox data

Okay, so pretty much get used to manual looping I guess. Probably better anyway, considering manual loops on 2000s are quantised but the loop divider loops aren't, right?

Would it be a good idea to run my CDJs through Traktor perhaps? I'd still obviously use them in the same way, except the loops would be quantised. Worth it? Or should I just get used to mixing without quantised loops?

If you are using rekordbox usbs i wouldnt bother with traktor, although if you are using cds you may find it a decent upgrade.

I know everybody is different, but if you get to know the phasing of your tracks you will rarely need loops.

I would be lucky to use one or two loops a set.

Yeah honestly the only thing I would gain would be the ability to use the auto-beat loops... which you guys are saying aren't worth getting used to anyway.

As for loops, I dunno, I honestly use it so much, maybe it is because I don't know the phasing of my tracks well enough though.