Skream to Quit Dubstep

Scottie

http://betherave.com/skream-to-quit-dub ... t-is-over/

Skream (born Oliver Dene Jones, 1 June 1986) is a British electronic record producer based in Croydon. One of dubstep’s first and most prominent producers, he has played an important role in the genre’s development.

This pivotal player in Dubsteps creation has just announced the last show he played would mark the last time he would spin Dubstep.

“Dubstep is just a name now. It doesn’t have a meaning any more and the movement is over. It’s like the end of a relationship but it’s ended on a high. I’ve done dubstep since I was 14 but there’s no way I’m going to be dictated to. I stopped because I’m not inspired by it any more.”

It’s been reported that he will be focusing more on other genres and will not be leaving the electronic music arena entirely.

Disappointing to see this happen, definitely sad to see so many dubstep's early pioneers moving onto something different. I certainly feel like while it's stagnated recently there's still room to innovate.

With the way the scene has gone I don't blame him, I still have his 1st appearance on BBC's essential mix back in '03, dubstep back then was so much more simple and deep, I do look forward to see what genres he starts getting into now

When high rankers like this say dubstep is over it more and more makes it look like a fad

In many respect it was, all most people hear of is the commercial 'post dubstep' stuff not taking into account the cool minimal/techno sounding dub shit that has been around for ages.

The hype died for dub ages ago i can't believe people are only commenting on it now, it lost out to moombah for a while and now trap.

dubstep is a mainstream 'genre' at the moment. no doubt.

I also truly believe it is an unappreciated genre among the dance community masses and will be replaced by another genre as quickly as dubstep came into EDM.

Skream has left it now, but when the 'demand' for it is dead & 100,000,000 people are not trying to replicate & rape the genre for the sake of easy soundcloud hits he will go back to it, just like when he was 14.

imo.

time will tell.

Through my observations within the EDm scene, the faster something comes into popularity, the faster it dies out aswell

It happened with dub, its happened with moombah and i bet my left nut that itll happen with trap

Its the genre's that didnt have that crazy influx in popularity that chug along at a steady pace people keep coming back to it

Dub will never die to some people, but to the masses i think it certainly is. Having said that, this means it can go back to the underground where it can progress and devlope and re emerge as something else.. im yet to see anything progress while its kept in the mainstream

For the record, Skream never explicitly stated the genre is 'dying', he just said it didn't excite him like it used to. So therefore he is moving forward into different musical genres which interest him currently, and hence inspiring him to continue to be creative.

^true, i was more referring to previous comments as opposed to Skreams actual words

in regards to OP, i have no objection to any artist wanting to change up their game. At the end of the day, we are just fans and an audience to someone elses work.. we shouldnt govern what they do