Working In Key

Boss101

Also what are the basics/how much of this will I need to help me? Obviously I wont be working professionally anytime soon. So I'd like to know the basics to just be able to make a song using Ableton which sounds half decent to put on Soundcloud. Just a bedroom producer basically on a laptop.

Can you play stuff by ear, ie if you hear a song can you find the notes on a keyboard? This is my technique lol!

Rhythm is some thing else again, if you can hold a beat and play notes by ear your half way there

Maybe search some high school level music lessons, that should get you started.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a crazy amount of information to learn about music theory, im studying a BA Music and im still struggling to get my head around it. :?

I reckon it helps if you know at least the basics of music theory. Scales, triads, basic chord progressions. This will give you the basis of your piece you will be creating...

This is a good link to learn about Concepts Of Music: http://wrightstuffmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/music-1-aural-concepts-2007.pdf

The concepts of music will help you analyse and break down the song, you will have a understanding of how composers/producers intentionally compose their songs.