Software setup for learning Keyboard/Piano

BeatLeSS

Gandy's post in the big-ups thread about being in logic and learning some of the classics he loves has got me thinking: "I need to learn piano as a basic point, can this be done without a piano but more with keyboard/DAW"

What things are going to be required here? Full size keyboard (88keys right? What restrictions are there with less keys?)? Is there a VST that does that, and then of course some resources, books etc.

I'm going to look at getting a MIDI keyboard, naturally for production/performance - but seeing as I don't know anything yet the ability to learn via this method is going to save me money (both on not needing any more equipment, and of course on lessons as I'm okay with self-teaching) and time (won't need to leave the house - I can fire it up whenever I want :D)

Any recommendations here would be amazing. Gandy, maybe you can elaborate more on the photo?

no probs,

standard size piano is 52 white 36 black (88 keys total), realisticly you wont need to go larger than a 61 key midi keyboard. The way i have it set up is very simple, i just use it as an external midi keyboard in logic just like you would any other daw, that way i can replicate any instrument i want. When im just playing for myself at home i have it replicate a real fancy grand piano (im liking the sound of the bosendorfer grand piano at the moment) and just record my play (like when i like to learn a new song)

if you want to learn piano get a 61 key midi keyboard plus this website http://www.wikihow.com/Read-Music and practise. Once you get the hang of it you can use the keyboard to its full potential with production

biggest thing is practise practise practise, ive got 7 years of music theory and classical piano training so ive had a little bit of an advantage, but it just comes down to practise practise practise PRACTISE

here are a few sites to get you started music sheet wise, the good thing about the last couple of links is that they rate them in difficulty, start off with something beginner to build your confidence and get a basic understanding of reading sheet music. Just remember it takes time, patience and practise dont get discouraged if you make mistakes etc, if reading sheet music and playing piano could be learnt in a couple of hours everyone would be doing it

https://www.musicnotes.com/piano/

http://music.karashome.tk/

http://makingmusicfun.net/htm/printit_p ... _index.htm

http://www.8notes.com/piano/

Props man, perfect info!

Definitely understand the practice thing, it's going to take ages but it's all about making the start!

Bigups on the keyboard size - Now I know what I need to start with. Expect a Just bought post coming soon.

Quality post, thumbs upped!

• 2 weeks later...

88 keys isnt really necessary unless you're planning on playing pieces which cover the whole octave range. I've been playing the piano for yonks and apart from playing on an actual piano, i've basically been using a 61 key to make my piano hooks, which works ok. if you do plan on playing sheet music i'd say go for a 76 key (if they still make them. haven't seen one in a while). it gives you that extra few keys which really helps when playing bass lines

I just want to add my experience here.

Do you want to learn piano because you want to perform on it or just for music making? I come from a performer background, to me, the sound of the piano comes directly from your fingertips. And if everything had been "processed", ie. let the computer do all the work, it's very different from acoustic.

Now the closest thing from acoustic is weighted keys. Some has a bit more of a plastic feel to them, some are not too bad, but don't expect to play anything fancy on them, some can handle bit more of a bash, but with time they will age, the actions will lose its touch and the playing experience will be very different.

I used to have a 64-key midi keyboard setup, no weighted key but more a performance midi keyboard unit. Never took it to performance once, but it was setup at home with a home-studio making music and rearranging some stuff (that was back in highschool days when I had too much time on my hands to pursue every hobby I can imagine and afford). It did the job great! But I can't play it like I do with a real or weighted-keyboard piano.

Just something for you to think about, not sure if my comment was of any useful to you.

Purely for an educational point of view. I imagine I'd be able to take the skills and knowledge learnt from doing it this way and apply it with a bit of persistence on a real Piano if I ever come accross one.

It would be nice to learn some classic pieces though too - I appreciate the fact that it would be a digital way of doing it, but I'm not planning to play the Piano to crowds, etc.

Might load it up and serenade the odd chick though :P

I'm also on the look out for similar reasons. I want to get into production and I would like the keyboard to introduce my daughter to learning and playing music. Weighing up if I want to go with a 61 keyboard like Gandy's Novation or go the full 88 on a straight midi keyboard like the Alesis without any production tools such as the pads. The pads etc would be useful but not essential (all can be done in software). Not sure which way I will go yet.

From what I've read DrC1 you only need the full 88 keys if you plan on playing music that uses all the octaves available. In my opinion it'd be the way to go, in order to learn the traditional art.

I'm lucky enough I got an APC40 for all the buttons/pads/knobs I need when getting into production.

From what I've read DrC1 you only need the full 88 keys if you plan on playing music that uses all the octaves available. In my opinion it'd be the way to go, in order to learn the traditional art.

I'm lucky enough I got an APC40 for all the buttons/pads/knobs I need when getting into production.

Yeah... For production the full 88 is definitely not required. But I am hoping this will spend just as much, if not more time as a regular piano once I can get some lessons for my daughter.