DIY Home Recording Studio Desk.

RichoKidd

Some of you might have seen that, after scoring pretty big at Christmas (a dual core G5 running ProTools and a Digidesign Digi 002 interface) that, I am planning on turning the spare lounge room at my share house, into a recording/mixing/mastering space. 

Before I start, yes I am aware that a lounge room is not ideally acoustic or soundproofed, but that's all I have to work with, keep in mind, this will be a bit by bit process, so I won't be doing too much recording until I've learned to use ProTools a bit more.

The basic idea of this thread is to keep you all update with the whole planning and process, as well as when I change or arrange something. 

I will post a picture up of the blank canvas I have after my rent inspection next week. In the mean time, if you have any suggestions for a home made, DIY studio desk, please feel free to post below

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Quick q - is the G5 realistically any better than whatever laptop you're currently using? They're pretty old

Realistically, probably not, but it is a dedicated ProTools unit, and my laptop I use for all kinds of stuff. The age isn't so much of an issue with me, its running up-to-date software and is compatible with the hardware I'll be using. 

Quick update. The first part of my desk has been sourced. It has come from my roommates. Its one they had sitting outside used as a Webber Q stand. A quick clean should be all it needs. Its actually the exact one I was going to purchase from Ikea anyway. Next will be purchasing a shelf and converting it to a computer monitor stand. Should be installing the desk tonight though!

So here is some progress shots. We're getting closer but still have a lot more work to do.

1422_1025370470859077_509551626417606691

12509317_1025370497525741_11706218555002

As you can see. Its still the bare bones, I mean at this stage the screen isn't even plugged in as its missing cables, but we're hoping by the start of February we should be, at least, able to start mixing music. We're picking up a rack, a console and some other stuff tonight.

19 minutes ago, Cupe said:

Dude I have that exact same desk for my dj gear

Yeah, its the perfect height for it right? It's length is what makes it perfect for us, because I have so much stuff I want to put into the studio but limited space. The Digi 002Rack will be put into an actually rack case tonight hopefully(!), which will free up some space on the desk for the Mixing Console, Midi Controller, Studio Monitors and 2x Apple Screens 

7 minutes ago, andyman said:

Is that the couch from Casting Couch?
What sort of 'studio' are you running here?

You are not the first person to state this! The best kind of studio....

Actually, it will be run by the missus and myself, so probably will be used as a 'casting couch' for our own kind of videos....

We have progress!

Today we picked up the rack case and a mixing console for a couple hundred bucks. Apparently there is a bit of history in the console, in that Limp Bizkits current sound engineer used to own it in his home recording studio in Perth. Here are some shots;

1655868_10208566255821768_31546753191905

12508897_10208566256341781_6949978153168

12523065_10208566256541786_8429698516189

12417946_10208566256741791_5020648730983

As you can see, its no where NEAR complete. I still need to score some studio monitors, computer monitors, wireless mouse & keyboard as well as a few cords and cables, but the bare bones is starting to come together!

10 minutes ago, Cupe said:

Pretty sure that mixing console is the exact same one we have at uni

It's pretty fucking dope

It's pretty old but the guy I bought it of said sounds like a gem. How much experience have you had with it @Cupe? My next job is to figure out how to connect the mixer to the interface (I'm assuming I go from mixer output to interface input)

2 minutes ago, RichoKidd said:

It's pretty old but the guy I bought it of said sounds like a gem. How much experience have you had with it @Cupe? My next job is to figure out how to connect the mixer to the interface (I'm assuming I go from mixer output to interface input)

Make another thread in the mixers section and we can discuss it a bit (in case one day someone is looking for that info)

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2016 at 2:04 PM, RichoKidd said:

Some of you might have seen that, after scoring pretty big at Christmas (a dual core G5 running ProTools and a Digidesign Digi 002 interface) that, I am planning on turning the spare lounge room at my share house, into a recording/mixing/mastering space. 

Before I start, yes I am aware that a lounge room is not ideally acoustic or soundproofed, but that's all I have to work with, keep in mind, this will be a bit by bit process, so I won't be doing too much recording until I've learned to use ProTools a bit more.

The basic idea of this thread is to keep you all update with the whole planning and process, as well as when I change or arrange something. 

I will post a picture up of the blank canvas I have after my rent inspection next week. In the mean time, if you have any suggestions for a home made, DIY studio desk, please feel free to post below

Hello to music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, DJs, and musicians. Today I would like to tell you about a wonderful project, in which I was honored to take part. Sorry for self-promotion but I guess it can be useful. Our website is suitable both for beginners in the world of music creation and for more experienced producers and engineers. Here is a link to it, if anyone is interested. Thank you for attention.  http://www.insulationsydney.com.au/

Very useful services for music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, and DJs.

On 28/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, insulationsyd said:

Hello to music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, DJs, and musicians. Today I would like to tell you about a wonderful project, in which I was honored to take part. Sorry for self-promotion but I guess it can be useful. Our website is suitable both for beginners in the world of music creation and for more experienced producers and engineers. Here is a link to it, if anyone is interested. Thank you for attention.  http://www.insulationsydney.com.au/

Very useful services for music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, and DJs.

For those who are interested in conducting a home studio DIY acoustic treatment project for under a £1000, pls visit my website.http://www.soundproofingproducts.com.au/

If this is in breach of forum rules, mods pls delete or move.

On 30/12/2017 at 4:11 PM, SoundproofingPr said:

For those who are interested in conducting a home studio DIY acoustic treatment project for under a £1000, pls visit my website.http://www.soundproofingproducts.com.au/

If this is in breach of forum rules, mods pls delete or move.

Make your own thread for this in the Buy & Sell - Stores section:

https://www.ausdjforums.com/forum/14-buy-sell-stores/