DJaz's Rig Part 2

Jaz

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most smoke liquids are glycerin Based which you can by from any supermarket, mix 1/3 Pure glycerin with distilled water and you've got fog/smoke liquid

ive made and used about 5 litres of it so far and its excellent and cheap compared to the litre bottles you're "meant" to buy from DJ shops

and yeh its makes lazers and strobes especially enhanced, love my smoke machine :P

and its good to see you back pill, its been a while since ive seen a post from you :P

Good stuff D Jaz

Always held off on a smoker cause of the cost of juice.

Like to pour it on to piss off the crowd now and again.

Where would you find glycerin in the shops

Near hair care or dental or soap?

Do you really need distilled water not tap water?

Good wife say you make lollies and sweet drinks with it, I'll go down now and have a look.

Thanks for the advice.

It's all good man :)

any supermarket, it's in 2 sections, cooking and the personal care section as it's used for cooking and also can we dabbed on cuts as a disinfectant so yeh, unfortunately the only bottle/jars I've found are like 200ml but they ate only like $1.80, so for 1 litre of smoke fluid it will only cost you around $7 including distilled water, aposed to $25 minimum for store smoke fluid :)

I haven't tested it with tap water but every guide I read said distilled so I just went with woolies distilled water as well, $2 for 2L so it's no hassle

and 1/3 glycerine will make some decent thick smoke but if u want a little thicker just add a bit mote % glycerine :)

when I 1st made it I was thinking bullshit this won't work or will e crap but it's perfect lol

anyway how that helps :D

Pill you dont get it

when a Venue has banned smoke machines it means ALL types, no matter what you say you have

its not up to you to say "Oh this wont set off alarms"

to a venue manager

but hey when you come across venues you will soon know if they tell you off for brining one in

because have you ever been thrown OUT of a venue - then you will know,

oh and they will send you the bill from the fire brigade after they attend the scene too

so have a nice day

once again, so many useless answers to questions I didn't ask...

If you actually read my post, you'll see it says "can never know without testing it" which would imply finding out with the venue if you can use it in advance, and never using it if the venue said no (or in fact, only using it at private functions, as mentioned by DJaz)

Dont buy cheap smoke machines off E-bay. I've had a look inside a couple and there not built to last (ie a year or more). Invest in a good quality smokey and clean it on a regular basis.

Dont forget, you can also use a hazer to bring out your light show. Instead of billowing smoke they distribute more evenly but still catch the light and make your lasers etc look great. Some even claim to not set off smoke alarms but as Pill said, you never really know until the fire department comes a knocking.

This is worth a look:

sorry about the late reply Fab, been busy

yeh mines still going as if it was new, Source is probly right though, but when you buy cheap you get a cheap build i guess, internally they are very simple, some are different inside but basicly the less moving parts the better

all mine does it boil the fluid, once gas chamber is full with smoke a light turns on to tell you its ready, press the button and a medium sized fan (similar to computer cooling fans) just pushes the air out...

but anyway if you decide to get one from ebay this is the 1 i bought

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0277339576

The brand is Rave and are actually sold in stores like Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AF1214

:) so im guessing its of some Decent Quality to be passable in a Retail store.....

plus there has been a backlash with the Asthma Foundation again because of passive smoking and smoke machine systems (most Asthmatics go into fits after sniffing the smoke from a machine)

There is a mention of a ban on fog/smoke as in theatrical effect smoke, in the WA Health Public Buildings Regulations 1992.

Has anyone in their experience ever had this happen to them? I have done school gigs for over six years using smoke at every one of them and I have never set off a smoke alarm or had a kid complain about asthma.

In fact, we filled an asthmatic's house up with so much smoke you couldn't see a metre in front of you and the only problem was that his mum was pissed she had to clean the floor of all the goop in the morning.

How much are your distributors selling it for Az? Cause normally it should be about $25-30 for 5 litres or so of liquid?

If you can't use it at a venue, you just don't use it dennis. We all know that. People on this forum aren't stupid. But i'll argue about whether something looks better with or without smoke any day of the week because the answer is simple. Beams give people raging beamers (if you know what i mean).