DJ on a Budget.

Hi everyone!

first thread here ;)

Ok three things to introduce myself:

1. I do not own any dj gear yet

2. I would like to become a dj

3. I like dubstep

Ok. I have a pretty tight budget of around the $500 mark, but saying that I do not know how long I will be "into it"

I have been offered an Audioline MDEX3 for $200 from a djing friend, but the only thing im iffy about buying 2nd hand equipment is if the machine breaks it has no warranty.

I do not have any vinyls.

The same friend said that Jaycar have some decent decks for the price?

All I know is that the biggest I'll ever DJ at the moment (Im still at school) is at friends' parties.

What are some budget recommendations?

Watch these

Also, I own the mdex 3 too man, but honnestly, there as basic as bread and butter, you would be better off getting something like a mixtrack pro, then putting a bullet though the sync button.

$500 is pretty low for a starting butget, id suggest saving up some more cash so you can get some quality gear, prehaps a pair of cdj 200's and a mixer.

also one final note, see if you can sit in with a dj, and see if you achaly like it before you do it. its VERY hard work!

Honestly, I'd say get some form of Dj software, preferably traktor by any means necessary and muck around using the hotkeys, if you enjoy it then PURCHASE a controller that will come traktor le. I got the bcd 3000 from store Dj for $200, the jog wheels are a bit small but it's great for the price and a good way to get into djing. Also use some big heaphones you have lying around and computer or stereo speakers. Just be careful not to become dependent on waveforms ...

Honestly, I'd say get some form of Dj software, preferably traktor by any means necessary and muck around using the hotkeys, if you enjoy it then PURCHASE a controller that will come traktor le. I got the bcd 3000 from store Dj for $200, the jog wheels are a bit small but it's great for the price and a good way to get into djing. Also use some big heaphones you have lying around and computer or stereo speakers. Just be careful not to become dependent on waveforms ...

Why not a mixtrack pro, there more spaced out, good sized jog wheels?

I guess if you got that, later you can hook some turnies up to it and have a dvs setup.

but yeh man, save some more money, its better to get some quality first up instead of making the foolish choice I did with the mdex 3.

are you planning to do clubs or the whole mobile thing?

Looked up a review and formed the following opinion. To be honest mixtrack does look better than the bcd3000 and has a couple more buttons. They both seem to have a poor plasticky build quality, however mixtrack costs double. The "scroll" seems interesting but I hardly ever play from a set playlist. And WTF is up with the master volume in between the faders? For that price range I think the Hercules steel provides the same functionality and won't fall apart on you.

id suggest saving up some more cash so you can get some quality gear, prehaps a pair of cdj 200's and a mixer.

I suggest you do the same Sol.

But yeah, stay away from the MDex.

Look at the 200's and a basic 2 channel mixer.

QFT.

take your own advice I think sol. lol

Thanks guys,

I'll turn down the MDEX3 offer i got and do a bit more looking around.

What do I need a soundcard for with the Mixtrack (normal) and what can't I do without it?

with the normal mix track, you cant cue up songs without a extra sound card, so you cant listen to one song on your headphones and leave the current song playing over the speakers.

I'll give you my honest opinion, just stop wasting time and get second hand cdj400's and a cheap mixer.

If you don't have the money then start saving.

agreed, the words, "budget" and "dj" do not fit together well.

exactly.

Of course you can buy budget gear but it's just shit.