CDJ - Quantized Loops

Jaz

Qauntized Loops  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Qauntized Loops

• I Think They Are Good
    • I Think They Are Bad

Lets start an argument, whats your thoughts on them? Vote and discuss 8)

Read Below if you dont know what they are:

What they simply are is a new feature on Pioneers high end CDJ models the CDJ2000 and the CDJ900, now on a normal CDJ you have to enter the start of the loop With the left button, button A, and then set the end of the loop with the right button, button B

Untitled-14.png

But with the Quantized loops, if you go to set the start of the loop on beat 1 or a kick drum and you miss it by half a second Quantized looping will automatically set the start of the loop on that beat, so it auto fixes your mistake and gives you perfect loops everytime....

I personally think they are bad, its like the lazy mans looping...if you cant set them manually or correct them during your mix (i cant do it 100% of the time) then you need more practise not a machine doing it for you...thats what Software like traktor's and serato's auto loops are for...(yes i know you can do it manually on these programs as well)

whats next? auto scratching? auto EQ'ing? and god forbid auto beatmatching....

just my opinion :)

Love them, pain in the ass to mix in and out of loops using it on other cdj's. The chances of you getting it 100% is slim and then you need to massively compensate with the jog wheel while you mix in or out even if you get it close.

The problem is people using laptops and automxing, quantized loops are fine and are the least of dj's worries in terms of the art dumbing down.

Actually what pisses my off even more is people using laptops with cdj 900's and 2000's when they play out. I don't get it.

Actually what pisses my off even more is people using laptops with cdj 900's and 2000's when they play out. I don't get it.

you mean using rekordbox on the laptop and connecting them to the players?

just an alternative to using USB drives i guess

I think theres nothing wrong with quantized looping. 900's have auto looping anyway.... whats the difference?

oh so do you have to beat grid the song (or whatever its called) in recordbox 1st? i was under the impression it auto detected the beats similar to what traktor n serato do

then its not as bad as i 1st thought

and yes the cdj900's do have qauntized loops exactly like the cdj2000

The CDJ-900 accompanies the launch of the new range-topping CDJ-2000 player and is loaded with many shared features.

It can play from various different music sources, including CD and USB storage devices.

Pioneer rekordbox™ Music Database Management SoftwareIt also comes with the revolutionary music database management software for DJs: rekordbox™. Based on our Prepare & Perform’ concept, rekordbox works (for both Mac and PC) like the leading music database management software, but is more creative and more DJ-friendly.

rekordbox allows DJs to prepare more before their performance and opens a door to tools such as Quantize for perfectly synced loops every time.

DJs can then export data to a USB device to access vast libraries of music files and perform live - without the need for extra equipment or any inconvenient rewiring in the club.

Thats only for the cdj900 and cdj2000

oh so do you have to beat grid the song (or whatever its called) in recordbox 1st? i was under the impression it auto detected the beats similar to what traktor n serato do

then its not as bad as i 1st thought

rekordbox auto beat grids everything when you scan the files... there is also a quantize button in rekord box, which i would imagine would turn the feature on/off.

if you chuck a cd in, it will be as per normal (like the 1000s)

I still don't understand why you think its a bad thing? no amount of perfect loops will save you from playing a shit set.

need a third option of indifferent, doesnt worry me either way, starting to get that way with everything dj tech related now... if tis going to happen its going to happen :S

auto-sync on virtual DJ...thats just happening but thats not ok...

yes its happening, and its not ok, but even though i rage everytime at auto sync people still use it and its still out there

ive come to realise that theres just no point of fighting it anymore, there will always be ppl who take the easy way out, such is life, if i had spent the amount of time and energy i spent in blowing up over every auto sync argument and focused that into something productive id be a lot more ahead than i am now

i still believe there is a point in fighting it, fight the things we dont like otherwise they just get accepted, dont bottle your hate up gandy let it out mate!

think about it, if we dont hate on auto syncing VDJ's then they will feel accepted as real DJ's :P

90% of using a loop to good effect remains in the art of making it sound good, picking the right 2-3 pieces of music to overlay . The only time a loop is really useful without any real thought to how well things go together is for extending a beat in order to match the next song

yes its happening, and its not ok, but even though i rage everytime at auto sync people still use it and its still out there

ive come to realise that theres just no point of fighting it anymore, there will always be ppl who take the easy way out, such is life, if i had spent the amount of time and energy i spent in blowing up over every auto sync argument and focused that into something productive id be a lot more ahead than i am now

gandy you are becoming more and more like your namesake gandhi mate.

You dont have to see it as acceptance against your better judgement and it isnt being a doormat and letting people walk all over you... it is tolerance.

Let everyone do it their own way and let the listener choose who they listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

I had never considered quantized loops as cheating, just a small nice feature to save you a bit of time. Unlike using sync which eliminates one of the most frustrating parts about learning to DJ that we all spent hours and hours learning. Plus we all know that any DJ that has to use sync will never get anywhere anyways and should just be ignored.