What should I get? final thread decision

SolDios

ok so guys, im sick of wandering from option to option.

What should I buy gear wise?

I was going to go with an s4 because of the portability but you guys seem to want me to get cdj's (although, an s4 can do everything I need it to and wont blow my budget)

so what should I get?

atm if I got cdj's id probs get a pair of 800's and a 400 mixer.

so what do you guys honestly think I should get? should I stick with an s4, or go cdj

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what are you wanting to do

s4 (although id recommend a ddj) if you want to focus on mobile, which i think is a good idea given your age, you're at least 2 years off even thinking about club work, plus its dickloads cheaper than a cdj/mixer setup

if you already have a laptop that can handle it get one of the following: ns6, s4, ddjt-1, mc 6000.

these are the new generation of midi controllers that will do to cd players what cdjs did to vinyl in the mid '90s. i.e. begin to dominate the market and leave the old skool stroking their chins in disgust. The old skool can catch up and enjoy or can stay underground and enjoy. What you choose for your future is neither their problem or concern, even if they claim it is.

...as i hope you know by now I play all formats and love them all but if i were buying new now I would def go with one of those 4 controllers. they have all the options and reliability of the cdj set ups at half the cost and less than half the weight. Plus you wont ever have a problem finding a song using a software search while you may struggle to get a CD out of your wallet.

BUT: please disable beatgridding and never use sync.

^ yer thats what i mean, it'll take 5-10 yrs, and clubs will still have cdjs just like they still have technics... but the winds of change always blow slow to start with.

the way i see it sol has an opportuntiy to be ahead of it and ride the wave instead of chase it.

anyway gandy, i'm sending you a PM my man.

yeh i agree

sol i would recommend a macbook pro, because you can get a mad school discount, and i have NEVER had mine even think about failing, i hate to sound like a apple faboi, but when it comes to creative wise (music, photo manpiulation, video editing) mac just wins out because tou never have to worry about driver or compatibility issues

yea i use both, pc all day at work, and pc/mac at home. Have the best at both worlds, PC awesome for gaming/documents/coding etc, and my macbook soley for djing/producing/photoshop/video editing

im not bashing pc by saying choosing mac, im just saying they way macs work because they are propietry and all made and manufactured by the same person/company, they have complete control over what goes on, so when the software is made for mac it only has to worry about one specific setup, where as pc's are totally customizable so you have to worry about diff video card manufactures/drivers, diff audio card man/drivers, diff motherboards man/drivers etc etc, theres just a lot more you have to worry about

Sol, just go with what you can afford mate. Take your mdex for example, its cheap but its getting the job done, Correct?

Dont rely on other people's opinions or what they think of you because you use a controller or cdj's. Everyone has their own opinion. What you want/can afford may not go down well with the next guy but fuck what he thinks.

At the end of the day it's purely your decision and as long as you are happy with it than thats all that matters. In saying that, if you buy a controller now at your age, 2-3 years down the track you will obviously be older, more than likely have a better paying job and you may be able to outlay the cash on a nice CDJ set-up.

I totally aggressive with fool, the industry will eventually move towards digital, best to get ahead of it, I would go a ddj-s/t1, then at least if you ever have to play on a cdj, you will be comfortable, we can only advise though sol, you must decide in the end... but do yourself a favour and start learning traitor or serator while your saving, do as many tutorials as possible

I totally aggressive with fool, the industry will eventually move towards digital, best to get ahead of it, I would go a ddj-s/t1, then at least if you ever have to play on a cdj, you will be comfortable, we can only advise though sol, you must decide in the end... but do yourself a favour and start learning traitor or serator while your saving, do as many tutorials as possible

i bet they said this about CDJ's in the 90's but vinyl players are still kicking strong, probly more so then Controllers

^absolutely, that was the point of my first post in this topic. I was one of those in the 90s who fought against cdjs replacing vinyl. Now i know vinyl didnt die and cdjs have their place and purpose so this time i find myself able to embrace the change to controllers.

It's just like jazz clubs are still going strong after 80 years... the main commercial fashions come and go but any scene that generates a die hard old skool of afficionados will continue.

Vinyl is still my fav format but for practical issues I now use a controller at most gigs.

I was tending to stear towards the s4 rather than the tt1, although it is wonderfully big, it needs some serious real estate. Also I was liking the s4 because I could take it interstate.

also, ive decided im not going to use samples much, but does the tt1 have cue points?

and also, I liked the dedicated filter knobs on the s4, but I spose I can just set a filter as one of the effects knobs right?

i beleive it has several dedicated buttons but one of the best things about the ddjjtt1 is that it works with traktor midi maps which means you can choose which button does what.

i.e. if there aren't enough hot cues you can assign other buttons to act as them. You can also set a "shift" button so that buttons that normally do something like "play" or "pause" or "pitch bend/nudge" or whatever can be assigned to be extra cues when you hold the "shift"

and yeah you can choose which effect is available for control by the rotary effects. or assign parameter control to the platter, traktor is very versatile like that whichever controller or DVS you use.

Having played on an S4 i would vote for the ddjjsss. As hobbz said you will be familiar with the industry standard cdj players as pioneer uses the same buttons.

Also the S4 platters are above all those sample player controls which made any kind of platter use a real ball ache to me.

But have you heard of the NS6? hahahaha