Time For a Upgrade to REAL Gear :)

Mattye

So I think this should go here. Seaking advice on gear but I'm not a noob...lol

So here's my story. You guys may or may not know, I currently have a Herculies RMX + Kontrol X1 running Traktor Pro 2. But I'm over the Herculies/Midi Controller idea and planning on going CDJ.

But here comes the prob. 1st I was thinking 2x CDJ400's + DJM400. I wouldn't have to change my shelfing layout in my room, they will fit right in. Happy Days. But then I thought, "If i'm gona get 400's maybe I may as well get 350's as there newer (and only thing I don't like is there's no lights on the platter)".

But then I thought, "I would really prefer a full size platter". So was thinking 1000's or 800's. But the catch is, if I go a full size platter I'm going to have to alter my shelfing. Which is not a problem really, but it will take a while and I'll have to work out something for the speakers on the right.

So now as a result I'm confused and want advice. YES, NO or otherwise. I don't care. Tell me what you would do and convince me either way :)

O n FYI I plan to spend $1500 max (so obviously 2nd hand, there seems to be some epic deals popping up on eBay etc).

222295_10150165810696976_555476975_7277833_6099973_n.jpg

Thats what it looks like now.

What I'm thinking if I go full size is

: Get rid of the top shelf on the right.

: Lower the 2nd top shelf on the right down to the same level the Herculies n x1 r on.

: Cut down the uprights on the right that would be in the way.

: Sought out a speaker stand to get the speaker back to head level.

ill let the cd bois give you the 411 on cdj's, but just one word of advice dont let the shelf decide what you buy.

i mean you can get a new table for about 100 brand new (cheaper 2nd hand), less than 10% of the equip you are about to buy!

i mean you will prob own the equip for longer than you stay in that room (as i assume you still at home).

just my 2 pennys

Man that looks wicked.

All of the set-ups mentioned would do the job just fine, I wouldnt worry to much about how you will fit your set up into your shelves(thats an easy fix).

I would decide if you really want the larger platter, you dont wanna buy the 350's or 400's and realise in a few months time you want to upgrade. Personally moving onto the larger platter CDJ's was the best thing I ever done.

I think if you can find some 800's or 1000's for a good price you wont be disappointed.

Goog luck

Man that looks wicked.

All of the set-ups mentioned would do the job just fine, I wouldnt worry to much about how you will fit your set up into your shelves(thats an easy fix).

I would decide if you really want the larger platter, you dont wanna buy the 350's or 400's and realise in a few months time you want to upgrade. Personally moving onto the larger platter CDJ's was the best thing I ever done.

I think if you can find some 800's or 1000's for a good price you wont be disappointed.

Goog luck

Yeh I think I would prefer the full size platters. Just not sure if its really worth the extra dosh. Only a bedroom banger..lol

if im honest man, i think you need to alter the shelving anyway, its pretty messy, no offence bro :) just use this as an excuse

None taken Jaz...Its actually an old pic...Its much neater now :)

is the $1500 supposed to cover a mixer as well?

Yeh would like it to cover a mixer as well. I'm not in a rush. Going to wait till I get my tax back anyway. And then wait for a good deal/deals :)

id go the full size platter if you can afford it, like you said youve done your time on midi's, i think you would enjoy the bigger platters a lot more. 850s are a nice entry lvl deck with the full size platter them being quite new not sure how the second hand stock would be though. 3 or more channel mixer would be nice but dont stress too much if you only get a 2 channel because of budget you can always pick one up later down the track

if you're not in a rush, i'd wait for a bargain on 850's, you should be able to squeeze them in your budget....it will be a big squeeze but doable nonetheless.

good advice, all of a sudden there are shit loads popping up, when i was looking for mine i literally saw about 2 every 2 months

Scratching mainly, but I dunno how to describe the difference between my full size platters and my old 400 platters, mainly just feel alot more solid and precise then the smaller platter, not a great great difference but I do prefer full size, but each is their own, maybe smaller size will suit someone else

oh and I should say I started on the herc RMX and software as well then upgraded to CDJ, best decision in DJing I've made, the satisfaction you get from mixing with CDJ's just doesn't compare to controllers for me man...

hard to explain it just feels better and is more accurate and responsive, i find on the the 350s you kinda have to press down on the edges/corners (corners on a round platter derrrp me) and between the middle and the edge of the small platter there isnt much room, really hard to explain i could show you in about 5 seconds :S

plus once you use normal sized platters there is just no turning back

when i was on my 400's i used to move the platter by placing my hand on top of it and spinning (CDJ Mode) but with full size platter i flick the sides like your supposed to and have to do with Vinyl mode....even if im in CDJ mode...mixing much easier this way

Cheers Guys...I think over the next couple of weeks I might go to store dj and play with some CDJ's. See what I like. Been a while since I've touched one..lol

And yeh I agree Jaz I think I'll only get 2 CDJ's for $1500. Mixer might have to be ontop of that.

Thats why I was thinking 2x 400's originaly. Theres some CDJ/Mixer kits on ebay etc for cheep as.

Cheers Guys...I think over the next couple of weeks I might go to store dj and play with some CDJ's. See what I like. Been a while since I've touched one..lol

And yeh I agree Jaz I think I'll only get 2 CDJ's for $1500. Mixer might have to be ontop of that.

Thats why I was thinking 2x 400's originaly. Theres some CDJ/Mixer kits on ebay etc for cheep as.

when i said u will only get the players for $1500 i was talking about 850's...and 1000's

you could easily get 350's +mixer, or 400's+mixer, or 800's and a mixer for $1500 dude :)

when i said u will only get the players for $1500 i was talking about 850's...and 1000's

you could easily get 350's +mixer, or 400's+mixer, or 800's and a mixer for $1500 dude :)

Problem is i think im kinda sold on getting 850's or 1000's :/ this may turn into an expensive plan...lol