Pitch and Key?

Robsta

Am I correct in thinking that when you change the pitch of the track not only do you increase/decrease the tempo but you change the key as well?

For example:

Track 1 is say 157 bpm and in the key of d

Track 2 is 152 bpm and in the key of c

Once I properly pitch and beatmatch 1 & 2 what happens to the key? Does this mean whenever two songs are beatmatched properly the keys are changed to the same key also?

If not how do you change the key of track 2 to match the key of track 1 if by changing the pitch the beats of the track will be out of sync.

I'm very confused about this as you can probably tell so sorry if that was a whale of an explanation.

This is all for a live set btw.

i remember hearing somewhere that van buuren was saying that shifting a song up/down 4% changes the key by a semitone (that could be wrong, but its something like that)

some CDJs have a keylock feature which will hold the song in the original key no matter how much u change the tempo

in your example if u inreased the tempo of track 2 to match track 1, it may not necessarily turn into a D, it may end up as a C#

your statement is correct, that the key will change.

but i dont think it is correct that the keys will be matched because beats are matched. (it may randomly happen but the key is not linked to a particular bpm, i.e not all 128 BPM songs are the same key)

i am not sure how much the key changes but maybe google what mattus has said. or wait for someof the more knowledgeable folk in terms of key matched mixing like chris or armed, chev maybe?

it is very hard to hit notes ( on key ) with a 8% + or - pitch fader...you will only get 4 to 5 notes with 8 + or - pitch

if your turntable / C.d player has 50 % + or - pitch control then you will be able to hit more notes but with the little move on a 100 mm fader it even harder to hit the right notes on key

mik will give you the key of the song, but you will still need to work out what the key will become when you pitch it

Yes, If you check out info on the MIK site it has details on the % increases/decreases to go up/down semitones and all of that sort of stuff. Can't remember the exact % to go up one semitone (4 or 8% ??), but the next key up is +7 on the camelot wheel.

Tbh i don't like pitching a track 8% anyway, as it sounds to different as to what it was written to sound like. Too slow/fast compared to the original, which is what people are used to.

So that's why you use master tempo :) to beatmatch and retain original song key. So then it makes it easy to choose song selection wisely so the keys complement each other, and also similar BPMs, so that you won't have to pitch up/down too much (+/-3% tops).

that's my opinion anyway

But sets that are done in key or have progressive key changes/changes to the fifth etc. sound fucking amazing.

I guess this is more of something you would refine if you were making a mix with ableton at home with plenty of time to spare rather than live.

Speaking of which should I upload my trance mix as an ableton set or a live on the spot recorded set?

Traktor itself won't.

Haven't used the program eggs mentioned myself, but i know the mixed in key program - its fairly popular as not only finding the song key, the camelot chart (which is easy to memorise) makes it very easy to know which keys complement each other as well.

And It will add the key information to the song tags, which will be visible in traktor.

have a read of their site, it explains how their system works, and it will all make more sense