Flickering bpm?

SolDios

Hey guys, great to be back

anyways, im now the proud owner of an audio 6 dj and am loving it

however...

The bpm readout constantly flickers on the 000.0X digit by about 0000.02, will this cause any problems? songs still seem to stay in beat with each other.

just as an example, a song that is 180.00 bpm will flicker about 5 times a second between 180.00 and 180.2 sometimes it also goes down to 179.98.

Thanks guys!

0.02 and you're worried? Tc vinyl will be flickering by 20 times that or more, perfectly normal and mix able. 0.02 is equal or less than the lowest resolution on a cdj depending on model, if it's up and down by 0.02 then the average will be very close to zero.

traktors bpm counter does adjust according to the pitch sliders, i think its in serato that the BPM counter doesn't change when you move the pitch?

wazza confirmed this.. not sure why serato wouldn't change the BPM counter

i assume this is with timecode sol? are you in relative or absolute mode?

traktors bpm counter does adjust according to the pitch sliders, i think its in serato that the BPM counter doesn't change when you move the pitch?

wazza confirmed this.. not sure why serato wouldn't change the BPM counter.

i assume this is with timecode sol? are you in relative or absolute mode?

We had a bushfire 900m from our house yesterday, so were unpacking everything atm, will test this tomorrow.

Im in relative I think, I haven't touched those kind of setting yet.

what's the difference between absolute and relative mode.

not sure how it works with cd players, but on turnies relative means it doesnt matter where the needle on the record is, it will play from where you have cued it. so you could be in the middle of the record, hit your cue button and the song will go from there. i.e. in essence turning it into a big ass cd player.

it also means if you pick up the needle, the track will stop, but once you put it back down anywhere on the record the song will play from where it left off.

absolute mode means it will play as though the track was on the record. i.e the start would be the start of the song. and if you pick the needle up and place it further down, it will then move to that point in the song.

sorry its not much help to you, but just in cse anyone else is browsing our forum and ask what is the difference between relative and absolute. ill check NI for you in regards to CD players.

sorry mate cant find anything i can understand (but that could be just my lack of knowledge about cdj's), one of the other fellas who has used both will hopefully hop in and tell you soon

EDIT:

okay found something that wasnt too jibberish. and basically sounds like its the same kind of thing as with turnies.

As your CDJ plays your timecoded CD, traktor can interpret what speed it's playing at and where in the track the CD is playing eg 3:52 mins into a track.

Absolute mode will use both bits of info and play your track at that speed and at that location.

This is useful for using the CDJs track search function; after scanning through a track, traktor needs to know where the CD is playing at, hence where it should be playing the corresponding track.

In relative mode, the "location" data is ignored, so only the motion/speed of the timecoded CD is used to control the track.

This is useful for using your own cue points and loops in traktor as of course, as soon as you use them the track is no longer in sync with the playing timecode.

I believe that as soon as you start using loops and cue points in traktor, it automatically switches to relative if not already.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... hp?t=87944

Hey guys, great to be back

anyways, im now the proud owner of an audio 6 dj and am loving it

however...

The bpm readout constantly flickers on the 000.0X digit by about 0000.02, will this cause any problems? songs still seem to stay in beat with each other.

just as an example, a song that is 180.00 bpm will flicker about 5 times a second between 180.00 and 180.2 sometimes it also goes down to 179.98.

Thanks guys!

It may have something to do with the new timecode MK2 that gets shipped with Traktor now (probably ultra sensitive). i wouldn't worry too much since 0.02 is nothing. if the flicker itself annoys you then you can remove the BPM display.

• 2 weeks later...