the drop

bumpNgrind

so your producing a track, the track sounds good, progressing nicely... and then comes time for the big drop....

this is where i get stuck.

i dont seem to be able to create the 'fat' bassy beat i need that the song has been building too.

im sure its pretty simple and i just need to find fatter/louder bass/kicks, but was hoping someone may be able to give me any tips they may have.

cheers

Its all about subtle layering in the drop. My main foundation bass in the drop is usually 3-4 basses layered together.

makes sense and would give it that extra 'umph' right?

suprisingly didnt think of that. will have a go at it tonight. cheers

im not just concentrating on the drop... i have been concentrating on everything leading up to it... previously i haven't been able to successfully create a quality drop cause i didnt know the right technique...

anyway, last night i figured it out while playing around with street cleaners suggestion...

i ended up just re-adding the drum and bass kit again as new instruments but at a higher volume level... worked a treat and is alot cleaner than applying multiple than the layering.

Bump n Grind.

from that i take it you use logic? and are using the in built samples of the ultrabeat?

if so......dont..haha.

its very very hard to make a quality track using the sounds in those kits. your going to want to grab a sample pack from the likes of Vengeance or Loop Masters. mainly being Essential house vol 1, 2 and 3 from vengeance have great drum samples.

Also to make a full sounding drop. You will want to try and fill up as the Frequency spectrum, but dont have anything overlapping.

e.g if you just have something really bassy and no synth's hitting higher frequencies, you can risk having the drop sound very dull, as you just have this powerfull lowend bass and nothing to compliment it. Also if you have this great melodic synth/chords but you have no Low end, its going to sound weak and empty. you need to find a good balance between the 2.

Other than fat synths, another thing to try is really focusing on building and releasing tension, a lot of tracks don't even have that heavy of sounds but the background effects, sweeps, impacts and fills are arranged really well so it sounds a lot bigger than it actually is

whitenoise throughout the drop makes it sound 543412312 times bigger. Make sure u cut out all the low end off the whitenoise though.

i'd trust this guy, he knows

He still can't produce anything in higher quality than 192kbs.

Stay on topic

SweetIshDub is spot on. I believe Its about building your tension, if you have no tension / mood / feeling building up to the moment of the "drop" then your drops will always suffer.

I think everyone else was pretty much alluding to the same thing but approaching it in a technical way with sweeps / white noise build / synths rises - all ways of building tension.

there are many ways of doing it and the drop isn't always big bass drop face melt ear fucking madness (sometimes that is nice though). so tracks build tension and the drop consists of almost nothing more than a kick with some smooth bass.

1. build good tension

2. drop

3. profit?