traktor s4

kiz

hey guys im just starting out and really want some pioneer cdjs but may be out of my affordability at this point. what are you thoughts on the traktor s4????

Was originally thinking cdj 850s which I could probably afford but cant decide.

advice would be appreciated.

thanks

I own CDJ 850s myself and love them. I chose them over a controller as I prefer using cd's and usbs instead of taking my computer to source the music from when I play.

Traktor S4 is also a really good bit of kit, everyone I know who owns one loves them.

Really just comes down to budget and personal preference at the end of the day

^this

I have a pioneer ddj s1 (controller)

Have had it since I began and even though it's an awesome unit I always have this feeling in the back of t head saying "I wish I could play on the real thing". Go for the 850s if it's in your budget man. They're solid. And if you have them down pact. Every club is your oyster

• 4 weeks later...

Im trying to get my hands on the S4 at the moment as well mate. Im using the numark ns7 at the moment and just think the S4 will be great for portability.

A mate of mine has it too and he swears by it.

But as mentioned above if you want to get into clubs go cdj

i learnt on cdjs no laptop, best thing i could of done, specially since i wanted to get into clubs.

done the club scene now i use a controller, which is awesome for bedroom/parties/features/portability/price

up to you where you want to take your djing

Hey mate, I was in a similar position, but the main consideration (as already stated) is where you want to go, and how committed you are.

I bought the S4 second hand at a reasonable price and for the use it's had (Bedroom and general mucking around, a few low key house parties) it's been great. Good fun and you can have your mates and the ladies come have a try too which people love.

For mobile djing they can be great too! I've seen a few guys around doing events/parties with just the S4 and a computer...so its a sweet little set upand can bag you some cash with little outlay if you're decent.

They have the ability lots of musical expression, Ean Golden style...

But!

I think its a lot harder to become good at beat matching as you can find yourself falling into the sync button trap, as well as being lazy with your timing by using the quantize/snap buttons. So for developing you skills you can shoot yourself in the foot in the long run by choosing the short run easy option.

A bit more negative stuff I perceive that controllers just aren't taken as serious by CDJ users and turntablists, so breaking into certain scenes can be hard...

But hey, if you're rocking your it and people dig im sure they wont care, so you just need to back yourself in your music selection and how you use the controller and software.

The benefit of spending more on some CDJ's, in particular Pioneer gear may be worthwhile if you're committed to getting in the club scene... This is probably my only real regret with the S4. But on the other hand i already had a decent computer and only spent <1k on a sweet bit of kit that left my options open for additional equipment, like DVS or midifighters etc.

Just make sure if you go the s4 route its worthwhile having a decent computer to run the software. Try and get a case if you're going to be lugging it around too plus that makes you look legit.

Some people will swear by their CDJ's, others by their controllers...

CDJ 850's are pretty good option IMO because of their similarity to club equipment, especially with a good mixer. The 900's have a few good features that really make them more like club equipment, and set them above the 850's for a little more money im fairly sure but im no expert.

For me, it comes down to:

How committed you are

How much you want to spend

What you want to do with your DJ career

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

i would say if you have a great laptop and no cash go for the s4, its on sale now for about $800-900.

if you want to do gigs then i would say buy some second hand CDJ400s and a mixer. then you can plug your laptop and use the internal CDJ soundcards and HID (which the CDJ850 doesnt have and probably wont support) with traktor, or you can use CD etc.

If you want to play gigs out then always have a backup, you'll need a second laptop or CDs/USBs in case someone pours a beer on your laptop at a gig.