Pitch Resolution and How It Affects My Beat Mixing...

Ok…what the heck is ‘pitch resolution’ and how does it affect my beat matching?

When you move the pitch slider on an older Technics turntable, the pitch is infinitely variable. That’s means tiny movements of the pitch slider result in tiny changes to the speed of the platter and vice versa. It’s a proportional relationship where when one variable changes, the other changes accordingly.

It doesn’t happen this way with CDjs or controllers.

Because of their digital nature, the pitch can only be changed in set increments. The size of the increments is the pitch resolution (think of it like the steps of a staircase). The higher the pitch resolution, the bigger the increments. What this means is that when you mix two tunes together with slightly different BPMs, you may never get them to match exactly as your media player will only ever play them at a set speed. The result is that nicely overlapping beats will always drift apart.

A lower resolution is better as it has more increments and you are more likely to get the bpm’s to match. Your mixes can be longer in duration before the beats to drift. Below are some figures for some Pioneer CDjs:

CDJ800

+/- 10% with a resolution of 0.05%

+/- 100% with a resolution of 0.5%

CDJ2000

+/- 6% with a resolution of 0.02%

+/- 10% with a resolution of 0.05%

+/- 16% with a resolution of 0.05%

+/- 100% with a resolution of 0.5%

It’s definitely something worth thinking about before you buy your next CDJ or controller/software.

Have noticed this before, of course nothing a small nudge of the jog cant fix, not enough to outweigh all the benefits of cdjs but still a consideration. I actually noticed doing a mixtape once where i was really trying to nail the perfect transitions, if some tracks it was impossible to get them 100% matched

ah that was handy to know actually, i assumed it still changed the pitch but just doesnt show it until it reaches the next 0.05.

the bpm readings are irrelevant you should never trust them on cdjs anyway just a rough guide.

The percentages that the BPM is being affected still remains. Once that changes then the song is affected by the new percentage.