z-trip extreme beat matching

eggssell

again for those that have never seen the scratch doco. Another outtake from ztrips extra bit.

now how is this for beatmatching. he has two songs which already have different tempos. and are not digitally in perfect beat. And one of the tracks speeds up. so he has to beatmatch the wholetime.

in the full vid you get to hear how each track sounds

+rep eggs

I used to do this to phatten up a live recording of frank sinatra singing "let's take it nice and easy". Using a beat from a dj rectangle battle weapon. both bits of vinyl worn out now. Sometimes I would trainwreck so bad lol!

but IMO it is so important to modern DJing to keep flying the flag for this type of instrumentalist approach to using turntables.

If anyone wants to get started trying this technique try using your decks to beatmatch any basic quantised digital loop (i.e. a modern song) to a beatles or rolling stones original recording. Both bands' drummers are notoriously bad at keeping time when doing drum rolls or fills so you have to stay on your toes throughout. My toptips - cut some of the bass and nudge and bend the rock track, not the modern loop. Keep the drum loop from the quantised track most prominent in the mix. If you start nudging that phat modern Kick drum everyone will hear. If you nudge the scratchy old rock recording you will get away with more.

Then come tell me you didnt feel the energy transfer through your speakers when you got it right.

He's 'riding the pitch' by using the pitch slider to speed up and slow down the record without using his hands or fingers. Pretty impressive given the track is constantly speeding up. I love watching some Djs (Ellaskins is one) who beat match using only this method. At my best I could get the beat matched by using my fingers and if it started to drift during the mix I'd ride the pitch to bring it back in.

bang on source.

I know you know so just for the record:

"riding the pitch" is the old skool technique of beat-matching without nudging to avoid any wobbly increases in pitch. Vinyl only users may need to learn this.

these days with digital keylock on dvs and cdjs this technique is a lot easier. You can nudge the platter and change tempo with the pitch quite dramatically. It will not be audible as an increase in the pitch of the music.

bang on source.

I know you know so just for the record:

"riding the pitch" is the old skool technique of beat-matching without nudging to avoid any wobbly increases in pitch. Vinyl only users may need to learn this.

these days with digital keylock on dvs and cdjs this technique is a lot easier. You can nudge the platter and change tempo with the pitch quite dramatically. It will not be audible as an increase in the pitch of the music.

I would think you could end up in a trainwreck quite easily with that tecnique?

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...