scratch practise jan 2013

overit

Finally had a few minutes...

and hooked the vid up.

I reckon i'm fuckin rusty but thought i'd post and see what you lot thought.

not sure what i've done wrong but doesnt look like i've posted the vid correctly?

edit: you tube says vid may be blocked in some countries is this why?

edit Mitch: fixed youtube link

mate, there's no way i'd be giving you anything but props! If you haven't practised in ages that shit was goooood! i've never tried any type of controller, so i can honestly say, how the fuck do you scratch without the feedback of the platter??? :-s

good breakdowns in the juggle too, i know how hard that is. nice flares and transforming. hit that reverse switch and get your hamster on!

i like the wave cancellation when playing the same track at once, gives a wierd effect.

hope to see more from ya boi!

have to record one tonight and see what i can muster up.

:thumright::thumright::thumright::thumright:

Wazza my bludder always so good to hear from you :thumleft:

And yes fiend! I'm made up u noticed my flares! To me that is New technique lol.

Hamster clicking will follow once i'm happy with the flare.

Using a controller takes some getting used to but u get overit innit. No diferent to changing car and getting used to a new clutch etc.

The hard bit is going back to vinyl and remembering!

Thanks heaps lads. Means loads. Nxt vid hopefully from my school room. I'm fitting carpet thjs morn and furst official booking this aft.

Ps will prob start a new user id to link my school to adjf, has to be under 18 friendly so cant have any connections with off topic ;)

FIEND: just thought:

What you have to remember about using a controller is that there is absolutely no chance of the needle skipping.

This means it is more like learning how to drive on god playstation simulator after you've learn to drive a real car.

You can wreck it, be as heavy handed as you want, be lazy (well lazier than a vinyl turntablist, not as lazy as a press press dj), and still get away with it.

PLUS: you get hot cue buttons, so if you do want to jump back to a cue point you dont have to pick the needle up or do mad rewinds to get back to your first beat.

PLUS: you get master tempo so any pitch wobbles dont get heard if you need to nudge dramatically.

So all in all using a controller has a lot of benefits, which could be called "cheating"... but then again you do lose the precision of a 12" platter, plus as you so rightly said: you lose that all important feedback from the platter working against you.

Tools for the job mate. You choose them coz you use them.

I like them all :)

i'm pretty sure you can add any midi controller to serato?

I use traktor and itch so not 100% sure, wazza would know.

but if you can then any cheapo controller would be enough to use cue points.

AKai lpd-8 is real simple but works for me.

dicers also cool as scottie says.

So you dont have to buy a real expensive midi mixer, you can get a normal mixer and add control externally.

Yep definitely a different thing doing routines with different digital controllers.

Nice routine, some solid techniques in there.

I've been scratching since '99 and had turntables since '01. Seems this forum doesn't have many members that are dedicated scratch DJs but I'm sure there's still plenty of interest surrounding the art form.

Glad I found this board though - will put up examples of what I'm into once I'm set up to do so.