I am starting out... Need some help :)

J2JSmall

Heya everyone,

Firstly I appreciate any and all help you can offer, I had to put my dreams on hold due to life commitments but I am back to kick things off and follow what I really want to do.

This is more asking for some assistance with gear. I am looking to start off digital and maybe move towards small events (parties etc)

I am creating a checklist of things I will need / want within the coming months to get myself rolling.

I was looking at getting the "Pioneer DDJ-SR" along with a Road Case to start things off... Opinions??

(I picked the DDJ-SR because its around my price range to start off and I have always liked Pioneer products, having owned an entire Pioneer sound system at home and had no issues)

I currently have the latest 15" Retina Macbook Pro with a 500GB SSD, so there shouldn't be any issues there but what about optional storage/USB's... What do people use/recommend?

I use a pair of "Audio-Technica ATH-AD700"'s at home for my gaming setup, would these be good to use for my DJing for the time being? What would you recommend I upgrade to if necessary?

Once again guys, Thanks for the help.

J2JSmall

I'd say the SR would be fine to start with. It's a cheap option to get you started.

Headphones should be ok but I'd go and grab something with a bit more frequency range. If you're planning to DJ for a while invest in a good set of cans now. You can't go wrong with good headphones. You'll hear a few different options around here on headphones but just find one that sounds good to you. Personally, I use Technics 1210s. I've got 2 pairs and I've had them for years. They're my personal favourites

I think you're in the right path. Also worth looking into the Native Instruments line of controllers (S2 or S4).

I've not heard the AD700's but I know they are very highly regarded for their audio qualities. I have Alessandro MS-1's but for mixing I prefer the bassier sound of my Sennheiser HD25's.

s4's are good, only just recently after getting out my s4 again i realise how much you actually can do within traktor pro 2 software when paired with a great hardware controller like the s4, if second hand is ever something you are interested pm me and we MIGHT be able to work out a deal otherwise you sound like you have some good basic knowledge so good luck and just have fun with it! and any headphones with 2 working cups will do.

I don't think the jog wheels matter to be honest. If you're starting out it's going to perform the same functions as any other jog wheel. It's a minor downfall that they're small but it's a controller and most portable controllers have small jog wheels anyways

it depends where you want to end up aswell, if you are into bangers and want to end up djing at a club then id suggest getting pioneers the closest ones you can find to a club set but i find if you are more into house and want some controlability and want to add a "live" element to your music with effects and things like that go the s4, eg when i go to a party where i don't want to be using effects etc only really a filter i will take my pioneers and for the convenience of no laptop and press play on those bangers all night but then if im feeling like Richie Hawtin or Deadmau5 i will get out my s4 and start throwing in some tech house and effects and live loops.

Well guys I have opted for the Pioneer DDJ-SX, simply because StoreDJ has 12 months interest free on Pioneer stuff, so I can pay half now and a little more along the way :)

I have been reading up a lot on the DDJ-SX and really haven't found to many cons about it, apart from the odd person saying about its size/weight which doesn't really bother me.

I do appreciate everyones help and hopefully you will see me around a bit more on here once I get things rolling. I am still going to look for a decent headset and could possibly pickup a Pioneer headset at the same time and chuck it on interest free as well. Opinions??

Alrighty, I always loved Sennheiser so I will stay with them (once I upgrade my headphones).

What are your opinions on the DDJ-SZ?? overkill for a beginner? I have been rather excited about the SX but a bigger more badass controller... Although I can always upgrade from the SX to the SZ in the future I suppose, a lot more money to waste if I don't like the Pioneer/Serato stuff

Nothing is really "overkill" for a beginner. it's whatever is in your budget. If you decide to stick to DJing (in whatever form) you'll eventually upgrade your gear anyway, so, if you got the money to buy big now and it's not gonna be a issue doing so I'd say spend the dish