My First Wedding Gig

RichoKidd

So.

I after DJing for like 4 years as a Mobile DJ, I have finally been booked for a wedding. As this is my first, I have a few questions/am seeking advice. Basic stuff like, etiquette of the DJ, what I should and SHOULD NOT play, do I eat if invited to do so?

This isn't a huge wedding, in fact its being held in a backyard (possible shotgun wedding?), but I am hoping this leads to more business in the Wedding market as, thats where the $$$ is

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Yeah but if you're doing a wedding you have to expect requests, especially if it's from the bride or groom, but in that sense it would be best to sit down with the happy couple to discuss what sort of music they're looking for and ask them if they have any requests for the day, that way you aren't taking as many on the day

Yeah but if you're doing a wedding you have to expect requests, especially if it's from the bride or groom, but in that sense it would be best to sit down with the happy couple to discuss what sort of music they're looking for and ask them if they have any requests for the day, that way you aren't taking as many on the day

Have met with the Bridge & Groom, she likes electronic and top 40, he likes.....country.....

I will do a Skrillex/Keith Urban mash up and appease all!

i hate weddings. i've stopped playing them but here's what i use to do, but not limited to

dress appropriately. if it's a typical black tie kinda wedding then rock up in a suit and take the jacket off afterwards once you get on down a boogie. ultimately, you need to be comfortable so scrub up as well as you can. this being a casual wedding, everything but shorts, thongs and singlets should be good lol

seems like you got the music sorted but there will be requests, pretty much from the get go. you can play them in your own time, especially if you're properly mixing tempos and 1 track is beyond from another. they will probably get shitty if you don't play the request straight away so be nice :P

as suggested before (which again you're already done), meet up with the lucky couple and suss out what they want, whether they want any specific requests and if they want you to be an MC. you need pretty much everything so get onto a massive hunt and grab everything you spot

most time's food will be given to you as it's pretty much standard. if they don't then charge them more lol don't leave your post to get food. i'm sure there will be someone walking around with a platter so wait til they come around to you. some people think that because they're paying you for a service they won't feed you or give you drinks (true story) so make sure you charge a healthy amount to do it. you gotta source the tunes, hire equipment (or cover costs of purchases), play, pack up and, of course, drive back and fourth.

the obvious part... if you can keep them happy with the typical party tunes you're gonna be a winner. all these girls wanna do is dance (coz it's mostly women who hit up the d-floor) so you'll probably have to keep it cheesy. just coz she likes electronic music doesn't always mean you can get away with bangers. once you get started it's pretty easy going and you'll figure it all out quite quickly.

have fun :)

• 6 years later...

Hey Richokidd.

Im curious to see how you went with your first Wedding and how thats panned out for you since? 

I run a Dj company in Perth and we do about 130 events a year. i find weddings to be super easy as long as you divide the night into 2 sections. One for dinner service. The other half for the dancing portion of the night. I play in 30-45 minute blocks of any said genre, depending on the clients overall music choices and direction. 

If you have any questions hit me up at www.kaviardjs.com 

Rod 

• 1 month later...