Thank god for the birthday email....

Doddy

Wow, hey guys, I know this is going to sound super random, but thank god for the birthday email and the 'haven't seen you around lately email'

I doubt many of you will remember me, at the time I was going back to school after a work injury to get into a different industry, which kinda worked, kinda didnt. In a new industry but not what I studied for, but a whole lot closer to what I studied for if that makes sense.  Anyways, I guess just a super quick shout out to say hey to everyone, my mixing and music got put on the back burner for quite a while. I was mixing and blending for a long while, but it only seemed to eventuate into house parties and practice really (too shy to go out in the real world and play)

Regardless, although I haven't picked up any records in a long while, I got onto Ableton and Maschine and started messing around, made a few tracks here and there but nothing serious.....maybe cos I smoked way too much :roll: 

Want to keep this short and not trail on, so I am going to try a whole lot harder this time to get back on the wagon and build some skills and hopefully, some amazing tunes, I have moved to a new state and only have work friends so ideally, this gives me the time to get something down.

Hope all is well with everyone and will chat you later

Cheers, 

Doddy

Man LabRat, just listening to your latest mix on SoundCloud and reminds me of my younger and subjectively, better years.

Good mix, that's actually really inspiring!

What are you using to create this? I have been a bit of a turntable snob, and would only stick to wax, but upon playing with Ableton and Maschine, I have expanded my mind and figure music is music, no matter how you make it. Whats your process if you don't mind me asking?

14 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Man LabRat, just listening to your latest mix on SoundCloud and reminds me of my younger and subjectively, better years.

Good mix, that's actually really inspiring!

What are you using to create this? I have been a bit of a turntable snob, and would only stick to wax, but upon playing with Ableton and Maschine, I have expanded my mind and figure music is music, no matter how you make it. Whats your process if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks man, I appreciate that!

i got stuck into the cdjs once I locked down my residencies and the convenience of USB/SD cards are amazing. I can mix twice as fast and drop mashups on the fly much easier. 

When I put a mix together it's all about the vibe of the crowd. All my recorded mixes are what you'd expect if you come to one of my gigs. I play as if I'm in the crowd and by having that connection makes my sets more personal with everyone in the venue.

at home I put most of my mixes together using traktor because it's easier using software at home. Sometimes I'll use the sync feature if I'm dropping intricate mixes with pellas and samples. It saves me wasting time trying to find tempos. This way I can load them in and drop them in instantly

Maaaate, before I realised it, I'm about 1/2 way down the page, just listening to one after the other. Brilliant!

And so much has changed. I remember when Serato was the ducks nuts, I vaguely know of traktor but have never gotten to use it, so I have to research more on that. Also carting crates of vinyl vs a thumbdrive/hdd full of tracks is clearly a no-brainer lol. I assume you just mark down drops via min/sec and whatnot rather than them lil stickers on the vinyl. That was the only thing I didn't like, because it made the track useless prior to your mark. But i love the feel of a record on the finger tips!

Well Im sure I could ask you a tonne of questions, but I think im gonna have a dig through the forums first before I start asking for advice, because im sure someone else has already asked it.

Thanks for the quick reply too, appreciate it.

8 hours ago, Doddy said:

Maaaate, before I realised it, I'm about 1/2 way down the page, just listening to one after the other. Brilliant!

And so much has changed. I remember when Serato was the ducks nuts, I vaguely know of traktor but have never gotten to use it, so I have to research more on that. Also carting crates of vinyl vs a thumbdrive/hdd full of tracks is clearly a no-brainer lol. I assume you just mark down drops via min/sec and whatnot rather than them lil stickers on the vinyl. That was the only thing I didn't like, because it made the track useless prior to your mark. But i love the feel of a record on the finger tips!

Well Im sure I could ask you a tonne of questions, but I think im gonna have a dig through the forums first before I start asking for advice, because im sure someone else has already asked it.

Thanks for the quick reply too, appreciate it.

Happy to help so pop up questions anywhere :) 

yeah I just put in cue points and hit them as I go. I used serato too and prefer it over traktor but I get the job done with traktor 

Ahh I see, you don't know where I've been, I get ya. Im sanitised and housebroken, so I got that going for me.  Plus im wearing matching socks and shaved this week......sorry ladies this ones taken lol

Better than swiping and getting the 'tinder suprise' amirite.....

So much gold to be found in this forum, glad I get to have time while at working to skim over stuff and email myself at home on things to read up on/into. And thanks all for the warm welcome back :) 

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...