hi

Gandy

Hello everyone, my name is Gandy and i am an aspiring DJ.

I have been embracing the art that is djing and entertaining for just under a month, so i am as green as they come. I have always had a passion for music and entertaining people, and have now finally found my place in a role i enjoy.

For the past 7 or so years i have been a club/gig rat, what i always loved was the fact that no matter what was going on in my personal life, work life etc i could go to my favourite club and forget all the worries of the world and enjoy the beats and carve up the d floor.

I am now at point in life where ive done all the partying, now i want to be in control of the dance floor and the mood of the night, and get people mooving and grooving. Nothing is more exciting/rewarding to me then seeing a packed dance floor feeling the music, its a high that no drug can come close to acheiving.

I am currently saving up for my entry level setup which will be:

2 x Pioneer CDJ400 CD/Mp3 Player

Pioneer DJM400

Macbook

I enjoy Commercial Club beats, Trance and Electro. I am fortunate to know management and a couple DJ's at one of my local clubs and they let me come in whenever i want during operating hours and get in the DJ booth and let me have a crack when its quiet/early in the night, and of course always offering there insight/advice, which i am very grateful for.

At the moment for practise i am recording my own shortmixes working on beatmatching, timing, song selection and blending, although "sync" feels like it is cheating compared to when im doing it live at the club. Listening to my first own mix was a spinout, i guess you could liken it to watching yourself in a play or on TV.

I would say my strong suits are i have a good music ear, core music theory knowledge and an appreciation of enjoying the reaction i get from the crowd when a favourite comes on. I also am very open minded and professional, and never dismiss suggestions or advice because of ego.

I would say my weakness is hiphop and rnb music knowledge, i dont particulary enjoy the genre and can never get into the mood when listening to it, i realise to be the best i need to get over that because although i dont like it, some club patrons love it and if they are your crowd for the night then you arent much use to anybody.

Sorry for the long post but i think that is good way to start things off, i am in the process of setting up a facebook fan page and soundcloud account and start to get myself out there

Thanks!

I like this guy!!! Welcome! :safe:

1. Gd set up

2. Learning the proper way, GOOD!

3. Connections with club staff, very important.

4. Not liking RnB/Hip Hop. At one of my residencies, I have to play a lot of crap to get the girls going: Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Jason Derulo etc. and I hate it. When i get the dance tracks cranking and whip out a few mad transitions, there is no better feeling. The crowd loves it when they're dancing to one song and they hear the hook of another popular song come up from nowhere to create its own original track. They love it. And thats what a DJ does.

Good luck to you mate. It's important to work hard and keep mixing, keep uploading mixes, lots of reading, lots of questions.

I'll do my best to help you out whenever possible, if you upload a mix, I'll try to listen through it and give you lots of contructive criticism.

1. Gd set up

After doing research and asking around, it really does seem that they are a very solid entry setup, and another thumbs up just gives me more confidence that it is worth the wait to save up, although im curious to see how much the 350's will come in at.

4. Not liking RnB/Hip Hop. At one of my residencies, I have to play a lot of crap to get the girls going: Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Jason Derulo etc. and I hate it. When i get the dance tracks cranking and whip out a few mad transitions, there is no better feeling. The crowd loves it when they're dancing to one song and they hear the hook of another popular song come up from nowhere to create its own original track. They love it. And thats what a DJ does.

Tim Torque from Club Rev is doing some guest work at the club i go to at the moment and i am lucky enough to get to spend some time with him when i go in, he basically says the same thing, play to the chicks early in the night pumping out your upbeat "chick fav" songs (gaga/katy perry/agiluera etc) and later on play to the guys, you can get away with throwing in the harder dirtier stuff by mid to late night.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, ive only just started to browse and already finding some great tips and advice

Tim Torque from Club Rev is doing some guest work at the club i go to at the moment and i am lucky enough to get to spend some time with him when i go in, he basically says the same thing, play to the chicks early in the night pumping out your upbeat "chick fav" songs (gaga/katy perry/agiluera etc) and later on play to the guys, you can get away with throwing in the harder dirtier stuff by mid to late night.

Yep. pretty much what I do.

Word of advice when talking to working DJs a) Don't seem like a suck up B) Don't bullshit to him. I'm not saying you do those two things, but trust me. I meet some absoloute tools when I'm playing and I never forget them.

I had one guy the other day tell me he's just been contracted by one's of Australia's biggest agencies and he's doing next year's annual.

• 2 years later...