Beginner decisions.

chaff

Would you buy the Traktor Kontrol S4 ($1299)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the Traktor Kontrol S4 ($1299)

• yes
    • no
    • maybe

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of getting into Dj-ing (said captain obvious in the beginner section). Hence i'm making decisions regarding what paths to take.

Basically i have the option of buying something like a 2x Stanton vinyl+mixer+ timecoder set up or the similar sort of system but CDJ.

However, i have been keenly researching the Traktor Kontrol S4 system. To be honest, in my blissful ignorance i see this as the best option. Considering its a way into the game thats not too complex, and also allows for the addition of CDJ or Vinyl in the future. I have a sizable collection of tunes already on my decent laptop, making it a fairly simple, plug and play exercise. I'm not really limited to any one genre, as my taste includes an eclectic mix!

So handing it over to those with more experience, is the Traktor S4 a good buy, or am i trippin'? Note, 1250-1300 is pushing my tight budget as is...

Cheers,

JC

im assuming laptop and sound is not needed in your budget (cuz getting the control you will already need both anywho). in the end its what you want to do and what you want to use it for.

a controller like that can get you started mixing and will do you well if say you want to go mobile since its a singular device (plus laptop of course).

on the other hand if you want to mess about learning to mix the old fashioned way then you could go vinyl, mixer and dvs BUT that could be out of yer budget unless you happen across a good deal. i pretty much got what you mentioned and it set me back closer to $2G and that was all items on pretty good sale. so if you can get 2 TT's at about $800 then you stand a chance.

on the other hand the cheapest option would be cdj and mixer. you can usually find a good deal for second hand cdj 200's or cdj 400's and then even get a new mixer. no laptop needed because seriously if you have the cdj's you can burn all your music to disc, hence no need for a dvs (of course if you get more funds then go for it).

post an intro and let us know what genres you into, where ya from, how you found the site, whether you like cookies.

then browse the beginners section because weve had a lot of new people join also in the same boat (especially the cdj boat if ya going that way).

yeah if you plan on getting into the clubs, make sure your getting a setup where you have to learn beatmatching properly...meaning no Autosync, and on cdj's you have the BPM counter, tbh i have no problem with people using that, but when you first get cdj's( that is if you do get them) try covering the BPM thing whit a bit of tape and learn to beatmatch with out looking at it. then once you know you can do the beat matching take it off, because you know you can beatmatch properly.

If you plan on just playing at home or at partys, get what ever and just have some fun!

i dont know buck, those are T.62's in the Stanton pack. the citronic PD45 are basically an OEM thats the same as the Stanton ST150s (but 150's add line output and keylock, two features i have never used).

of course i can't vouch for the overall build quality of citronic, but essentially the guts are basically the same in the PD45 and the ST150 (and i think even from the same factory).

how much raptor?

I'd be happy with $900 for both if your interested. You may be able to find them slightly cheaper if you hover around ebay from time to time, but I know mine are in top working condition so I can definitely back them. Also had a replacement fader put in one, and had a larger RCA cable installed and had them serviced, so there ready to roll.