need someone to talk to... feeling blue

LabRat

having a devo moment. as most of you guys are aware, ive been taking the piss out of digital djing for a long time but as of recent events i think i may be switching over to the dark side and joing the now future of djing :(

but here's the thing, im planning on doing things a little different. i want that live feel about my mixing therefore i will be triggering basically everything i do. this will be a transition over a LARGE period of time so while i work out why im doing this, has anyone done a live set before using trigger pads such as NI's Maschine, Abelton's Launch Pad, Akai's MPC series or anything else?

i will be doing something very similar to a Skrillex set but with my own spin on shit

thanks and, i guess im sorry for mocking all you people for such a long time lol

i dont know what skrillex does, but are you talking about performing or are you talking about djing (mixing pre-made songs)? which i think are 2 distinct things.

kinda like turntabilism is using the turntables as an instrument to play a set or play a set of sounds. but it is not "djing" in the mixing sense.

i dont know what skrillex does, but are you talking about performing or are you talking about djing (mixing pre-made songs)? which i think are 2 distinct things.

kinda like turntabilism is using the turntables as an instrument to play a set or play a set of sounds. but it is not "djing" in the mixing sense.

Skrillex does it similar to Deadmau5 i believe, just a controller to launch clips and a controller to controll the rest of the program, skrillex's is some small midi thing, and mau5's is the allen and heath xone 4d i think?

mate, no worries about the past. who cares?

have you heard of the bridge? i think wazza is on it?

lets you still use dex but they control ableton too so you add whatever controller has buttons to suit you and only use the tables for mixing/nudging etc. That way you dont end up sounding 100% digital but you do have all the benefits of buttons...

or are you trying to remove turntables/platters entriely?

I used to use an akai mpc to supply beats for a live band while i scratched but would never have thought of it alone to run a set. As far as i know the mpd series are the more digital dj controller series.

still keeping your vinyl and decks at home? i do...

Yeah I'll still be keeping the tradition alive and playing vinyl and cd so would like to find a way to incorporate all of this somehow but I don't want to use traktor... If that makes sense??

Yeah I heard of bridge. I use logic and mainstage is a similar for the live thing. I've seen how you can trigger loops with Maschine from your DAW so that should be pretty easy.

If I try to explain it simpler.... I guess, I want to use the Maschine software as traktor and using the controller as the decks. I still don't know how I'll use the turnies with this set up but like I said I'm not going to do all this now. Gotta research a little more into it.

I know skrillex triggers different tracks with that thing too so I know it's possible

you could easily go from ableton or logic to a controller then to the line in on your mixer just like skrillex does...that way your CD's and TT's work as normal and you can use your software as you please

novation launchpad would be cheapest/easier for just launching clips, or maybe apc20 for the knobs n sliders if you wanted to control effects n shit

I thought when you dj w ableton (as opposed to triggering sounds/samples) thats what you were doing.

I.e laying down the next track then starting it where you wanted.

So cant you use any midi controller (or your keyboard) and just map the commands?

I dont know ableton enuff but i remember djtt or was it digitaldj habing an article about djing w ableton.

Again as opposed to performing your songs live which i guess is what tge apc's were more suited for

I just watched that skrillex thing. Doesnt look like he doing anything more than what ean golden does.

And i think he used sync.

Edit: oh yeah forgot we not meant to troll. Anyways he aint mixing in that there are no transitions. In fact he just stops then announces the next song. So thats more like remixing a track live.

But yeah i dont really no ableton. You can definitely do that with traktor as per ean.

You could also do it live a la DJ AM.

use midi clock from traktor , sycn into logic & use the maschine software as a vst in logic

seems pretty simple. if i run traktor, does that mean i only have 4 "decks" in operation only or am i able to trigger loops in Maschine via logic while traktor is running in the background?

yes...running traktor and logic on one laptop using one sound card at the same time

if your using the audio 8 sound card ....you will have 3 audio-outputs for 3 decks in traktor & one out-put for logic....and will be sync by midi clock

take a look at this post...its for syncing traktor & ableton.....but the concept & set-up is the same for traktor & logic

http://www.ausdjforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=4015