ADJF's 'Mix Your Heart Out' Competition - Win some XD-53's!

Where does live mixing with a midi controller come into it?(not using sync of course). Guess it's not premix therefore more like CDJs than ableton.. I would mix it on cdjs if I had access to some :D but limited to midi controller ATM ha.

I Think mrchris is onto something, submit a list of what gear and software was used, along with any automation features used in the process.

However the bottom line is you don't want to let the judging / criteria get too technical and detract from the mix itself, as what really matters is the music, coz that's why we all do this at the end of the day, right?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion but I totally disagree.

The whole point of djing is that you choose the tech that suits you and then make the sounds you like.

My mixes are scruffy and have issues because i do everything live. I like that, it adds to the energy and you can tell I'm really involved. On a recording it may not come across as brilliant after a few listens but live it always rocks.

Ableton/synced mixes all the sound the same to me, they all have that tinny time-warping sound and have no energy other than that the songs give to it so may as well be playlists to me.

It's just my opinion of course but i loved the idea of this comp because i thought it would give a clearer indication of what people really like to listen to regardless of tech. i.e. if some vinyl head discovers he's voted for all ableton mixes without realising then maybe there is a lesson to be learnt in that? and vice versa.

I would say feel free to post what kit you've used but i dont think a handicap is necessary. I would automatically score someone lower if i can hear time-warping... not coz i think it's cheating, i just dont like how it sounds or feels.

If it sounds good it is good, vote accordingly.

im gonna second with foolish

this comp started out as just a way to get everyone to post mixes up so that other members can offer advice. I have seen this comp as a more educational thing in which EVERYONE can benefit from, regardless of whether you win the headphones or not.

I mean, i dont really mind if i wint the headphones, im doing it for the advice i get from my submitted mix..the headphones jsut gave me motivation to post up a mix sooner rather than later

What im trying ot get at, is i tihnk the rules r getting a bit to compicated. i think mix with whatever you feel comfortable with, aslong as at the end of the day you learned something from it, thats what really matters

who gives a shit what gear you do have, whatever gear you have you should know how to use it to the best it can be used and you should be able to make something good out of it. we are all DJs and its what we like to do, this comp was only made for some fun and to give advice on peoples mix's at where they went wrong, and because caps is such a generous guy hes donated a pair of XD53s

so lets not worry about what equipment anyones using or about any handicaps, just post up ya mix when ya done and we'll sort shit out from there

whats stopping people from lying about which gear they are using though?

It's funny how when there is a worth while prize up for grabs all this shit comes up haha.

^Thats why i thought the whole idea of posting mixes without any mention of gear was ideal at first.

We just use our ears and learn what we like without worrying about the baggage.

who gives a shit what gear you do have, whatever gear you have you should know how to use it to the best it can be used and you should be able to make something good out of it. we are all DJs and its what we like to do, this comp was only made for some fun and to give advice on peoples mix's at where they went wrong, and because caps is such a generous guy hes donated a pair of XD53s

so lets not worry about what equipment anyones using or about any handicaps, just post up ya mix when ya done and we'll sort shit out from there

i think what some are concerned about it someone using production software to create a perfect and flawless mix that will win, which is producing really not DJing...

they are concerned, but there's no need to be.

Prod sounds like prod, clinical, synthetic, like a tune.

DJing sounds like DJing: analogue, full of energy, keeps you on the edge of your toes...

If you all vote for a prod mix because it sounds "perfect" then perhaps you should admit to yourself that that is the sound you want to produce. Even if you still want to play on dex for fun.

I love the human element, I love mistakes, I love live gigs over recorded albums. I will just vote for the best, the one that makes me feel good and shake my arse... not the one that is "perfect".

i agree mate, but i think thats why cap said the mix has to contain 10 tracks out of the 13 on offer. It gives us all more chance to do something that suits our style.

TBH I'd only heard one of the songs before, and none would be my usual choices but I love a challenge. So far I've had 4 goes and each time only ended up with 2 or 3 of the breakdowns/main riffs of the 13 songs but using elements of the build up and hooks from all of them. Havent done a rec i'm happy with yet but will post whatever I get done to let everyone point out where I'm rubbish anyway.

I BARELY made the 10 track mark between restrictions etc! lol

I was 8 tracks deep in the mix, a GREAT recording (the one I was going to use) . . . and my knee hit the power button on my computer which was wonderfully set to "shut down" .....

Yeah I've changed my setup a bit and made the power button do NOTHING

grrr : /