Few questions to help me out?

Daniel308

Hey guys

Well this is my story haha, I am thinking of getting into Dj'ing... I have always had a big love for music, played a few instruments when I was younger but stopped due to discovering video games and girls I guess lol... Anyways I just got back from travelling through Europe and experiencing Ibiza just a few weeks ago, and have come back bored and depressed... I then filed my tax return and have got some spare $$$. Then one morning I was flicking through the JB catalogue and saw a cheap Numark controller... My brain is addicted to new hobbys (I have a shit load) so thought I would look into it...

Few weeks later a cheap $99 Numark controller has lead me here wanting a Traktor S4 or something similar haha...

This then continues on to a few questions I have about Djing;

1. (I am sure you have heard this 1000000 times) Which controller? Which program?

2. How time consuming and difficult is it to learn to Dj? I am just curious as I am the type of person who reads and attempts to learn everything I can...

Few other points;

1. I am COMPLETELY new to djing. Hell I only realised what looping was a few weeks ago lol..

2. I have a new Macbook Pro which is why I think controller would be a good starting point to get a feel whether I would like to Dj or not.

3. I only want to get a feel for Djing, make my own little mash ups and put them on YouTube etc. to get comments and learn - and just have FUN. Not looking into making any money out of it or djing for clubs or parties. I just want to do it for me.

Any comments/help is appreciate!

Thank you

welcome dude

the S4 is a pretty solid controller that you already know about, and traktor is what your going to want to use with that....

it takes forever to learn to DJ, you only stop learning when you stop trying to learn...if you meen to get the basics of beat matching down everybody is different, it could take you 2 weeks, it could take you 6 months...

Are there any things to read and learn? For example how do you setup the headphones so you can beat match with both inputs playing at the same time but your output (what everyone is hearing) is only whatever the cross fader is set on...

I am completely new to this, I pick up on things pretty quick so I am not worried I guess...

I learn more from doing it myself (playing with the controller) but I don't want to fork out over a grand and then figure out it's not for me... My mate scratches on vinyls n stuff, I sit there and play with it all day but the problem is thats not my style of music..

I am just curious with how to setup properly, all the tools I need to get started, all the basic learning materials etc. Just want to have a read around before I go buy all the gear lol

Just got a few more questions;

Do you guys think there is going to be a new S4 or something newer/similar to the S4? Because I don't want to buy it and they pretty much become discontinued or a new model replaces it...

Also what is the re sale value on a good condition S4 roughly? Do you lose a fair bit of $$$

I am just thinking of going in and buying one, especially whilst I am listening to Avicii - Levels I am pretty geed to buy a controller haha

If it works out or if it doesn't I am sure I can sell it especially since I keep my things in good condition...

Because I don't want to buy a cheaper controller that isn't as capable because I think with practice I will become pretty good and enjoy it. But I may be pretty surprised/shocked when starting and realising how difficult it is to do...

If some of this doesn't make sense it's because I'm slightly intoxicated...

Cheers

the s4 is only been out for a little over a year & traktor pro 2 software is only out for about 6 months...so you will not see a new s4 for some time yet

there is a cheeper model coming out soon call the NI traktor s2....its a striped down s4 which will controll only 2 decks not for like the s4

I'm happy with my s4 although I am buying some tts very soon.

The s4 has everything you need for a good price and will let you get a taste for DJing with great gear.

The only reason I'm getting turntables is because I've been practicing with a DJ I know that has them. I also can't stand those little jogwheel whales for turbtablism and the like.