Mixing Hip Hop

mattus123

Hey guys, i got a party up on sun and the party girl has requested a fair bit of hip hop / rap

i happen to have NO idea how to mix this sort of thing

so far ive managed to get a few transition tracks that will help me mix from electro to hip hop and vice versa.. im just a bit clueless when it comes to actually mixing from hip hop to hip hop

ive spoken to a couple of u guys in chat bout it, but ive kinda forgotten what you said :(

if anyone has some basic ways i can mix hip hop, thatd be GREAT!

cheers guys

cheers mate

ive actually managed to blend some of the songs quite well (making loops and shiz), brought hte sister into the bedroom to comment and she said it all sound pretty smooth

theres just a couple of songs that have very different BPMs that ive struggled mixing

i tried scratching them in like u said, i also tried backspinning them in

both sounded really dodgy when i did it

any other tips? :)

sounds like you're doing it all right mattus, especially getting the 2nd opinion from sis.

re: dif bpms: either you find a place to cut between them that works or you use a little filler/break from another tune to bridge the gap, or you choose a dif tune.

It is a totally dif game to edm but yer, using loops etc will bring it closer to that style and so easier for you.

It doesnt all have to be same BPM though. Think of a live band, they vary bpm throughout their set. You can do this with hip hop too. just stop one and start the other, It's all about starting the new tune from a recognisable point that gets the audience hyped. (i.e. the hook).

But golden rule: if it aint working change it.

hey mattus I just posted a mix here:

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=8366&p=117082#p117082

...then remembered this thread. There's a "slam" or "cut" at about 22.36 into it that shows how easy it can be. I'm not posting to big up my mix. Just to let your hear that cut. I press "start/stop" to get that tiny wind out sound on "paid in full" and just slam de la soul in from the bass. Because the bass is instantly recognisable it hypes the crowd.

Also main thing to note: the tempo of "paid in full" is 104bpm. The tempo of "3 is the magic number" is 120bpm. But coz of the cut/total failure to match/utter laziness and willingness to let the tunes do the work themselves: it works.

So with cutting you really are playing a dif game and one which opens many doors to tunes you may have thought you couldnt use because the tempos were too far out.

here endeth the lesson, party on bro.

yer that brake sound from 1200/1210s start/stop button is the one I'm talking about and the one I tried to recreate on my NS6 for the cut transition I mentioned above.

I use turning off the motor for a major genre change or at end of the night before playing a last song. Pretty cheesy but everyone seems to know what it means.

Most players have tried to copy both these iconic sounds from the technics. Either that or they allow you to set the brake speed to your own specification.

As usual experiment to find something that you like.

As a side note: turning off the motor then turning back on and pressing start again to catch a beat can give some mad warped beats/sounds on certain riddims or samples. Very hard to make it work well during a beat match though.