Desktop PC for audio production

dflux4

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, when building a PC purely for audio production/music management what are the main components required to do so? The most cost effective way to do so and places to purchase from.

From motherboard to processor what are the do's and don'ts.

Links, prices and all information can be added to the thread.

Thanks again for your help

What software do you wanna run?

If logic - Mac obv.

If other and you want a cheaper option, you can build a desktop yourself.

Will post details when I'm home

FL9/10 - Abelton - Traktor

I will be building it on my own to save costs, and will write up a log for others that decide to follow along.

I have a mate that is in IT so will be helping me with the build.

If logic - Mac obv.

I will be building it on my own to save costs, and will write up a log for others that decide to follow along.

Budget for me to work too ?

If logic - Mac obv.

Budget for me to work too ?

The cheaper the better, but realistically looking at 1000-1200... 1.4k MAX ;)

TBH i have had a serious talk with dflux about mac's and logic, we may be on the way to getting him a mac... MAYBE, but seriously would love to see what PCmachines are available.

also would this do for production as far as mac's go? can someone verify? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Apple-iMa ... 2a1c2d8ed1

My laptop is more powerful than that (core2duo 2.4ghz, 6GB ram, 500GB HDD) and it barely opens logic lol. Took 5 mins the other day.

Plus I wouldn't buy a model that old in the present day, my laptop is 5 yrs old now. So it would probably be similarly aged.

If you were looking for a mac, I think Hobberz bought one similar to this - http://store.apple.com/au/product/FC309X/A

That has some alright specs

On the PC side of things, something like this would be pretty powerful:

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/aur ... ml?sort=2a

All you would want to look at getting with something like that would be an upgraded sound card (Can't recommend any myself, ask some of the other producers what they use). That site i linked sometimes sells custom build desktops that cheap that I can't build it that cheap myself, so sometimes just tell people to buy from there. And that also comes with a 20" monitor that price

So if that desktop is 1k with a screen, if you hunted around enough you could build a similarly specced desktop for under 1k. I'd probably get a 120GB ssd instead of a 60GB though, once you start loading plugins and stuff on 60gb won't go far. Then add your soundcard in and we are coming in around on budget.

General things I would recommend that alot of people overlook when doing a custom build:

-Spend a bit extra and get a good case - this will allow for plenty of extra hdd slots for upgrade ability in the future. Also will feel alot more sturdy and things will fit better. Also a case with the largest fans you can get is good. Larger the fan = lower rpm = quieter machine. A case with a fan at the bottom of the front of the case and higher up at the rear makes for good ventilation and crossdraft (as hot air rises, derp)

-Get a power supply that is more powerful than you need - again, you will save in the long run doing upgrades, you can re use it. Also a common issue is people use power supplies that aren't strong enough and they will start getting random restarts. Underpowered PSU can be the cause of this. Also buy a PSU with a large fan as they are quieter

-Get a motherboard that has room for extra harddrives (same reason as the case), and make sure it supports your CPU/RAM and all other parts you plan to install

-If your choose to get liquid cooling, it is good, but make sure the guy who is helping you knows how to install it, nothing worse than a noob breaking a part before its even in the machine

In summary, building a desktop is about more than specs IMO. You will get alot longer life out of it and be happier in the long run if you follow what i just said. C:

Thing most to consider when deciding though is what software you want to use, as that really decides what computer you get.

Hope this helps

TBH i have had a serious talk with dflux about mac's and logic, we may be on the way to getting him a mac... MAYBE, but seriously would love to see what PCmachines are available.

also would this do for production as far as mac's go? can someone verify? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Apple-iMa ... 2a1c2d8ed1

My laptop is more powerful than that (core2duo 2.4ghz, 6GB ram, 500GB HDD) and it barely opens logic lol. Took 5 mins the other day.

Plus I wouldn't buy a model that old in the present day, my laptop is 5 yrs old now. So it would probably be similarly aged.

that doesn't sound right at all, i've used logic on my core duo with 2gb ram and it worked alright.

this was logic 8.

double check with swiss and street if they have similar issues

• 2 weeks later...

Lol at the pc vs mac debate, they are the same bloody thing these days.

Macs are better with viruses and a bit (not amazingly) more reliable. If you know what you are doing with a pc it will be just as reliable i have a desktop and laptop on win 7 no major issues and have had both for years.

You can obviously do more on a pc and can achieve the same specs as a mac for less money.

Seeings as it is for production and not mobile performance would def go a pc desktop instead of an Imac, if it was for performing and you wanted a laptop would go the macbook.

i haven't noticed any more stability at all.

wait 1 year... then 2.. then 3... then 4.... then 5... then 6... and see how well your mac is running with no maintenance compared to a PC. ;)

honestly its already heading down the same track as my old PC laptop i have before the mac. i get 2 years max out of a computer and even thats a stretch. sure the mac pro desktop might be a bit different and it'd bloody want to be for the price.

the only thing id say in mac's favour is they are a better build / more durable.

but i have no issue with PC at all. i reckon go for it. unless your some crazy engineer its probably not going to matter. my old laptop PC i had custom built by these guys "http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/" mainly for gamers but decent shit.